+ Reply to Thread

Thread: recall?

Registered Member
    Member No: 21699 metzger is an unknown quantity at this point metzger's Avatar

Yes | No

recall?

Just got a message from BMW that says 6-series being recalled due to fault that could cause vapor lock in cold weather conditions. Anyone know anything about this?

MMike Metzger
    2002 Z8 (silver/black)
    2006 650 sport coupe (silver gray/chateau)

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes

Started out as a service action in March, updated in July and now full recall as of October.

I've posted just enough here (not formatted pretty on Roadfly).

" SI B12 10 07
    Engine Electrical Systems October 2007
    Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B12 10 07 dated July 2007.

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.

Under the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, as amended, if there has been a recall campaign, dealers must assure that all new vehicles and new items of replacement equipment are free of safety defects and comply with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards at the time of delivery to the consumer. This means that dealers may not deliver new motor vehicles or new items of replacement equipment to consumers unless the safety defect or noncompliance has been remedied before delivery.

(New) designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
    (New) Recall Campaign 07V-479: N62TU - Retrofit Engine Compartment Ground Cables

MODEL
    E60, E63, E64, E70 with N62TU produced 03/05-06/07

SITUATION
    When driving in certain environmental conditions (ambient temperature below freezing and low air humidity), an electrostatic discharge in the engine compartment may cause electromagnetic interference with the engine wiring harness. Consequently, intermittent engine speed fluctuation and momentarily loss of power may be experienced.

To prevent such a condition, two additional ground cables between the fuel injection rails and ignition coils grounding points need to be installed on both engine banks."

You can find an Adobe copy at the link I provided here:
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.knightsoftheroundel.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 46312 asstdean is an unknown quantity at this point asstdean's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: recall?

Got mine in yesterday's mail. Took it in this AM, supposed to have it back this afternoon. Starting to feel like my car spends more time with BMW than with me.

Registered Member
    Member No: 156144 flpnout is an unknown quantity at this point flpnout's Avatar

Yes | No

I got my letter about it this last weekend. I wasn't too happy about it. I hope they don't have to tear open the whole insides of the engine compartment. I am scheduled to have mine done on the 11/24/07. Hope they are already experienced enough to do this procedure. /

Proud owner of 2007 Alpine White with Pearl Beige leather 650I Convertible with all options fully loaded Automatic Transmission. She's a beauty!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 46312 asstdean is an unknown quantity at this point asstdean's Avatar

Yes | No

relatively quick fix

Just had mine done yesterday. Took about an hour. Added some grounding cables as Cobradav describes below.

Registered Member
    Member No: 146411 SSN603 is an unknown quantity at this point SSN603's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Yes

My 06 650 had two ground straps installed on 10/16/07 during normal service. BMW appears to have done a good job on this recall. My 650 is still great at 17,000 on the OD. Tires look good.

Registered Member
    Member No: 156144 flpnout is an unknown quantity at this point flpnout's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: relatively quick fix

I just got mine done yesterday too at East Bay BMW and in only took about 45 minutes. Quick procedure. :-)/

Proud owner of 2007 Alpine White with Pearl Beige leather 650I Convertible with all options fully loaded Automatic Transmission. She's a beauty!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 46022 M3texas is an unknown quantity at this point M3texas's Avatar

Yes | No

Is this recall for all 6-Series? I have a late model 2007 and haven't received a letter yet. Just want to make sure I don't miss something.

Only 2500 miles, and loving every minute of it!

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information