+ Reply to Thread
    Hans86L7

Yes | No

Upper Control Arm Bushing Wear

Below is an excerpt from www.ultimategarage.com. Is it absolutely true that we E23 owners cannot use the 750i bushings?<p>Thanks,<p>Hans<p>===================== ====================================<p>The large chassis BMW's (E24,E28,E32,E34) have had chronic problems with thrust arm (also called support arm or upper control arm) bushing wear. These bushings are located at the subframe mounting points of the upper arms and when worn will cause ride instability and pulsing through the pedal upon braking. Many BMW owner have replaced or cut brake rotors only to find that the pedal pulsing remained, attributable to these worn bushings. BMW has several different bushings available with different rubber compounds. The best bushings are the fluid filled ones used on the 750i and 850i cars. These can be used on all E34/E32 5 and 7 series cars without modifications. I sell only the original BMW bushings, manufacturered by Boge in Germany. I would suggest avoiding the "no name" copies that have recently hit the market. I've also had the same heavy duty bushings machined down to 50.5mm thickness on an $80k (20hp) milling machine so that they will fit all E28/E24 5 & 6 series cars (early 7 series owners are unfortunately stuck with a smaller bushing). Prices for bushings and labor are as follows: <p>750i thrust arm bushings (for all E32/E34 cars)....................$33.00 each <br>750i thrust arm bushings (cut for E28 & E24 cars)...............$65.00 each <br>535i/M5 thrust arm bushings (green dot-for all E28/E24)....$36.00 pair <br>(Price includes installation instructions & new locking hardware) <p>Labor-bushing installation into new arms purchased thru Ult Garage.......No charge <br>Labor-bushing installation into old arms.............................................. ........$30.00 pair

BruceH ATL 85 745

Yes | No

Re: Upper Control Arm Bushing Wear

<i><br>Below is an excerpt from www.ultimategarage.com. Is it absolutely true that we E23 owners cannot use the 750i bushings?<p>Thanks,<p>Hans<p></i><br>Hans,<p>To my knowledge they don't fit. Cannot be made to do so. I haven't laid a e24 and e23 bushing side by side to determine why.<p>Also got your message and will give you a call.<p>Bruce H<br>

Hans86L7

Yes | No

Re: Upper Control Arm Bushing Wear

Bruce,<p>Sounds good.<p>Thanks,<p>Hans<br>

Jon_745_MS

Yes | No

Why they do not fit!!!

Hans, The size of the 5, or the 7 series bushing is to large in diameter. The amout of stock removal would leave the area around the bushing too thin. From the best of my memory (and I just looked at this about 2 weeks ago) you would have to remove about 4 mm and this would make the wall thickness of the controll arm much to thin for my taste.<p>If you want a better bushing BMP has a urethane set for about $115.00. I myself would replace them with rubber as they will last a long time and the amount of shock through the steering is better with rubber. A pair from Bav Auto is about $25.00. If you remove your arms yourself I will press the bushings in for you. I have made special tools to use in my press just to do e23 bushings. You will also need the special tools for pulling the ball joint free. Let me know. Email me if you need more info.<p>Jon

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information