+ Reply to Thread
    SoCalE83

Yes | No

3 dash lights come on at once (more) . . .

This has been going on for about a week. I start my 2005 3.0 X3 up, and about 3 to 5 minutes later, the ABS, Brake, and "4x4" lights come on at once with a beep. Everything seems normal other than that. When I turn the vehicle off, there is a sound of something continuing to shut off for about a second or 2. Almost like an air vent is trying to close, or a "pump" is slow to shut down, etc. The brakes seem ok and shouldn't need any servicing, and everything else is fine. I've toggled the DSC switch, played with the parking brake, turned off the vehicle, etc. and nothing seems to stop these 3 lights from coming on.

I've had 4 BMW's over the past 9 years, and have never experienced this. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance,

SoCal E83 & E90

Registered Member
    Member No: 158282 Jhud is an unknown quantity at this point Jhud's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 3 dash lights come on at once (more) . . .

the abs/dsc/4x4 light illuminating is probably the steering angle sensor ( this is a guess but it should be pretty accurate since x3 is pretty basic as far as the dsc system goes. ) it should not come on like that there may be a problem. it could be as simple as a weak battery or you may have an electrical issue with the steering angle sensor. when those lights come on the system is not operational so be careful. i would get it checked at your BMW center.

SoCalE83

Yes | No

Will do, thanks for the advice !!

SoCalE83

Yes | No

UPDATE

My mechanic seems to think it's the transfer case or actuator or both !! And get this, he checked the oil/fluid in the transfer case and it is pitch black. Shouldn't this have been addressed during one of my 3 "scheduled maintenance visits", (every 15000 miles). The last one was just over 5000 miles ago. I'm sure this stuff didn't go from clear to black in 5000 miles. Due to this, it is my opinion ( and the mechanic's) that this is probably the reason for my potential need for new transfer case ($2800) and/or a new actuator ($670). If this fluid was something that should have been checked or changed while in the "free" maintenance period and wasn't, then is BMW is at fault? The following 3 fault codes were displayed, 5F3A, 5462, and 5463, just in case anyone is interested. This vehicle JUST went past the warranty period about 2 months ago. I would again appreciate some comments or suggestions from anyone here. Please feel fee to correct me if I'm wrong on anything here, as well.

Thanks again in advance.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: UPDATE

actually, the transfer case oil is only changed if fault code 5d5c comes up during diagnosis. BMW is pretty adamit about not touching it if the fault is not there. the fault is 5D5C or "transfer case oil wear limit too high" without this you cannot change the transfer case oil. during inspection 2 the rear diff fluid is changed but thats it. true ive never seen black transfer case oil but you are fresh out of warranty so your center may be able to "goodwill" the transfer case. by the way, is your mechanic a BMW tech? Also the fault codes dont help me much, each fault when given gives a brief description of what it is, do you have access to what the faults were? honestly if your " mechanic " is not a BMW tech, i would take it to the dealership for something this important. thats just my opinion.

SoCalE83

Yes | No

First off, thanks for your time and input on this, much appreciated. Fault codes are as follows;
    5462 - Servo motor coupling force too high
    5463 - Mechanism faulty
    5F3A - transfer case malfunction

My mechanic is an independent BMW mechanic, reputable, honest, competent, etc. He believes that there is he potential for some "goodwill", as well. His actual "liason" at BMW is out of town this week, but will talk to him ASAP. In the meantime, I thought I would try to get some input/opinions from other owners here. I've called around to a few service advisors at dealers, and have gotten different answers i.e., "that's changed out on Inspection !', or "it's never changed out, that's a lifetime fluid", etc.

Any further thoughts on your part?

Thanks again.

Registered Member

Yes | No

the transfer case is not changed during inspection 1 or 2. its supposedly a lifetime fill unless otherwise directed by the fault code i mentioned earlier.5D5C. if your mechanic was able to get those faults, he must have access to a gt1. ( diagnostic computer specially put out by BMW ) if he follows the test plans that the gt1 has it will usually tell you what to do, such as replace the transfer case. i am not working on your vehicle so i cannot do things for myself, but reading the fault codes sounds like you need a transfer case. what year and how many miles are on the vehicle? the reason i ask is that there is a set time/mileage for the goodwill process. the fault codes you gave ( this problem ) is not a common issue, if you have access to www.dealerspeed.net you can punch in the faults under fault code search and the known problems will come up pertaining to the issues known. nothing comes up in your situation. i enjoy helping ( just things ive seen and stuff ive learned, still just guesses since im not working on you vehicle ) so dont worry about it, but do keep me updated on the situation. my email should be clickable.

SoCalE83

Yes | No

Your response (and thoroughness) is again, much appreciated. This is great info !! My opinion, if that stuff is a lifetime fill, and it's worn and looks the way it does due to no fault of my own, then I think I've got a legitimate gripe here. The vibe I'm getting is that failed transfer cases are a bit of a rarity. I've got 55,000 miles on it. It has otherwise, ran like a champ. I've had 4 new BMW's over the past 8 years, and have never had issues.

With all of that said, I will keep you posted. and again, your interest here is appreciated. Thanks for offering you email as well.

SoCalE83

Registered Member
    Member No: 173297 klyomama is an unknown quantity at this point klyomama's Avatar

Yes | No

Hello,

Just wondering if your X3 problem was resolved. I have an 05 X3 with 57000 miles on it. And it is having the exact same problem. I am ready to get rid of the car if it is really a transfer case problem.

Thanks

beamerbear

Yes | No

I had this same issue two weeks ago. It's baffled my mechanic, and they finally discovered it's a stripped gear inside the transfer case. Get ready for a hefty repair is all I can tell you. They fixed the issue but can't get the lights to go off. Oh and also finding the part was an ordeal too. Apparently, there aren't many of them to go around.

I have had ZERO problems out of my beloved X3 but I am seriously considering getting rid of it after this or it's going to become a local ONLY vehicle. I too have had BMWs for the last 10 years and never experienced any problems to this extreme.

Me

Yes | No

I have the same with an X3. 3 lights on kiss of death. BMW garage goin to change the transfer box and charge me the 2000. Mine has done nearly 40k miles 4 yaers never off road. My view is its too high tech for what its doing and BMW don't understand this stuff. Transfer boxes are common on lots of good off roaders as well as road cars..i have an old Porsche C4 never missed a beat. I would not touch an X3 ever again. the rear springs break (both of them) apprantly its very common on newer 3 series, also garage says cam tensioner on diesel engine needs changing..at 40k with an oil change every 10k....unbelievable...steer clear !!! as soon as mine is done I am selling it...if I am wrong someone gets a good car !!!!

boomersooner

Yes | No

I had the same problem. Only happened twice, a month apart. Had the crankshaft sensor replaced. So far, no lights. Other issues tho.

steve wittler

Yes | No

I have a 05 X3 that my daughter drives. I bought it from our local BMW dealer with 30K on the odometer, 1 owner and it was in great shape. It has started doing the same thing that yours is doing. Every idiot light in the dash cluster has come on, all of the controls on the steering wheel stopped working and the radio is dead. All of this started when they went up under the dash to repair an AC relay. First, they said the airbag (in the steering wheel)contact ring was bad. They replaced it but it didn't fix the problem. It went back and then they said that the brake light switch was bad. They replaced it and it fixed the problem for about a week. It's back at the dealer, with at least 5 idiot lights on (ABS, 4x4, Brake, airbag, plus the the radio and steering wheel are dead). They've had had it for 2 weeks, and now they think it's the ignition switch. They won't listen to me when I tell them that the shifter is pulsating and you can hear a knocking sound. They also refuse to think that they boogered something in the dash when replacing the AC relay. Supposed to pick it up tommorrow.

cristianlf

Yes | No

Transfer Case problems

Hello experts,

I got a problem with my X3
    I recently changed
    and the scnner shows the next input:

54C6 Oil Wear
    5463 Mechanism faulty
    55C4 No message from DSC

could you please help me :)

regards
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 190.111.22.34

Unregistered

Yes | No

this might be the answer

http://www.**********.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=566880

Quote Originally Posted by cristianlf View Post
    Hello experts,

I got a problem with my X3
    I recently changed
    and the scnner shows the next input:

54C6 Oil Wear
    5463 Mechanism faulty
    55C4 No message from DSC

could you please help me :)

regards
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 196.215.199.171

Unregistered

Yes | No
    h t t p : / / w w w . b i m m e r f e s t . c o m / f o r u m s / s h o w t h r e a d . p h p ? t = 5 6 6 8 8 0

(Take out the spaces)

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 196.215.199.171

Unregistered

Yes | No
    What was the resolution for original posters issue?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 71.203.30.112

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 71.108.248.163

PETER355

Yes | No

Fault Code 5DEA - BMW X3 - E83 - 05/06

Guys, i need help to discover this error code 5DEA. I recently changed the transfer case actuator and i having problems with the 4X4. Wheels keep spinning not in order, burning rubber. No lights on dashboard, just this error code on scanner. I have no ideia whats going on.
    Tks
    Peter
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 179.145.255.197

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information