+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 72948 s328 is an unknown quantity at this point s328's Avatar

Yes | No

Advice buying an M5

Hi, I have looked at 2001 M5 with 78km on it. There are 3 things about this car that bother me (in growing importance): 1)rattle inside the dashboard; 2)Warped front rotors (and probably the rear ones too) - how much $$$ would it cost to replace them? I also may guess that the bushings need to be replaced. 3)the most important - the lights at 7k and 8k RPM on the tacho do NOT go away even after the car warmed up (10 -15 mins of driving). At the same time there is a burning electrical smell under the hood, which get worse after I drove this car. I probably should stay away form this car, but maybe that engine prob isnot too costly to fix. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Thank you in advance and happy motoring. 1)1998 328
    Bilstein PSS9
    JC cold-air intake
    Supersprint exhaust
    Shark Injector
    .. and more... :)
    2)1995 525iA
    3).. ? ... want more :))
    BMWCCA member 311923
    Alexandria VA

Registered Member
    Member No: 13750 srford is an unknown quantity at this point srford's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Advice buying an M5

1. The rattle inside the dashboard is not common to any BMW.

2. The rotors are a normal maintainace item and are very easy to replace if you are comfortable with tools--the archives of this board are full of detailed examples of how to replace. There are several excellent on line BMW parts suppliers that will sell you OEM parts at discounted prices--expect somewhere near $100 per wheel for the rotors--(not more perhaps less)

The front end bushings will defintely need to be replaced. This is a powerful car with much torque dive and as result of same-- and also because of it's age--the bushings will be dry,cracked, and loose--this will be your most expensive repair and because it requires re-alignment after doing--I would not recommend you doing the job yourself.

3. The "burning smell" could be a deal breaker...very vague description from what could be a failing belt to something much more serious....either way the smell is coming from something that is either burning (i.e. leaking lubricants) or something that is burning as a result of friction--meaning draging bearing-- (almost anywhere --i.e. alternator,PS pump,etc.)(attached to the engine) or wearing out. Very doubtfull that your "burning smell" problem (aside from the alternator) is an electrical problem--unless of course this car has suffered from any front end collision damage.

4. The 7K/8K lights are your rev limiter lights and they do not go out after the car is warmed up.

5. If your serious about the car, take it to a quality independent BMW repair shop and ask for a appraisal. Will cost at least one hour shop rate ($100-$150)for the information but you will get more information than just what you indicated here and consider this part of the cost of making an informed buying decision that will pay for itself in your peace of mind.

The miles are not too high if the rest of the car/powertrain has been maintained. Like most late model BMW's these engines are almost bullet-proof if respected and properly maintained.

Good luck with your decision,
    Sford
    BMWCCA

dan

Yes | No

where online could I buy OEM rotors at a resonable price? Last i checked they cost 300-370$ each, unless that is a good price!!!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Registered Member

Yes | No

$200.00

BMW OEM E39M5 Front Rotor:
    34 11 2 22 9528 $207.57
    34 11 2 22 9527 $207.57
    Tischer BMW - on line parts

there are others such as Crevier BMW on this board-- that also offer deep discounts...

sford
    BMWCCA

Registered Member

Yes | No

$136.32 for the rear rotors

BMW OEM E39M5 Rear Rotor:
    34 21 2 22 9379 $136.32

Tischer BMW

sford
    BMWCCA

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information