+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 158987 armaknyc is an unknown quantity at this point armaknyc's Avatar

Yes | No

996 Intermediate Shaft

Roadfly's Boxter Forum has many threads on catastrophic engine failures, including those caused by the intermediate shaft. But I do not see similar threads for the 911, 996-series. So, here is my story.

I have been "shafted" by the so-called intermediate shaft bolt and subsequent catastrophic engine failure. I bought a one-owner 2003 C4S Coupe in April this year with 32,800 miles. I also bought a Prizm Supreme extended warranty from the used car dealer, Sports Trend of Studio City, LA. Less than four months and 4,000 miles later, I had a catastrophic engine failure. The car was trucked to Pepe Porsche of White Plains, NY. They said the cause was the "intermediate shaft bolt", which caused a chain of events leading to the catastrophe. The broken bolt can be seen just by removing the engine from the transmission. Unfortunately, the extended warranty excludes bolts and failures caused by the failure of excluded parts!

Pepe Porsche advised against opening the case for further diagnostics, saying they have seen this before and it is known that there is not a more basic failure mechanism that then leads to the bolt breaking. They shipped the broken engine back to Porsche AG in Germany, where it is said that no further diagnostics occurred. I'm out $13,000 for a "new" (Porsche AG remanufactured) 996 engine that comes with a two year warranty and supposedly includes design fixes for the defective bolt design. I have appealed to the CEOs of Porsche Cars NA and Porsche AG, with no luck.

Please respond if you have any insight into 996 catastrophic engine failure rates or the fundamental failure mechanisms: intermediate shaft bolt, intermediate shaft bearings, cylinder liners, and so forth.

keith corbett

Yes | No

Re: 996 Intermediate Shaft

my 03 Boxster S IMS failed at 31k, engine replaced under warranty. Dealer said this is VERY common with 02-04 Boxsters and 02-104 911's. Sometimes the IMS beatring fails shearing the retaining bolt, sometimes the bolt just shears, either way new engine. The IMS has been redesigned on the new and rebuild replacement engines and there is evidence the original design was defective. Porsche sometimes picks up cost or part of the cost of the engine out of warranty but not the $2000 labor. It should not matter you are the second owner, if Porsche does not pick up the cost of the engine, or part of it at least, have your lawyer contact them. There's a legal concept regarding implied warranty of function and your lawyer is aware of it as is Porsche. If you have a good lawyer they will tell you will win but it will cost you about as much as just replacing the engne and Porsche knows that too! The trick is to make them believe you'll sue anyway. You do that by meaning it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 163056 mas is an unknown quantity at this point mas's Avatar

Yes | No

YES I own a 2002 996 cab, I have had the porsche since brand new, i have had my auto serviced, 3,000 for that service, the porsche mechanic says to me you will drive along time, one day going to an appointment, my car makes a mechanical noise in the rear, just for seveal seconds then is quite. I stop look under the car nothing, I proceed to go to another appointment, I park my car Oil leakes out like a faucet, I call my mechanic whom just worked on my car, He states to me it is the intermediate shaft, questions of concern if this happens to allot of cars why isnt porsche taking care of all of these damages...IF anybody can help me with this matter and the procedure of what in the world to do please if you would be so kind to contact me. I would be most grateful...ALL I WOULD LIKE IS MY PORSCHE back and running.in dire staits....scott

PJC

Yes | No

Louisa Bosco

Yes | No

i have a 2002 boxster, 31,000 miles....garage kept...treated like a baby....car conked out on road....cherry hill porsche says "intermediate shaft failure"...from running too high rpms...NEVER HAPPENED..or drop in oil pressure- NEVER HAPPENED ! do i get a rebuilt engine....or new engine...or sell as is. WHAT'S A GIRL TO DO ?????

Michael Soheil

Yes | No

The same exact thing has happened to me with a Porsche 2000 911 Carrera.. I have no respect for Porsche.. It's a bogus company with crappy product.. they do not stand behind their product.. Not to mention. I purchased my car three months ago and had paid for an inspection at Park Place Porsche in Dallas.. they say it's not their problem..

Shark Attack

Yes | No

Some sited and threads worth reading:

http://www.porscheenginefailure.com/

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/543421-i-cant-believe-it-happened-to-me.html

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Its a known issue Porsche has chosen to ignore you. They gave it to you in the [Oops!]. The value of the cars is plumiting. I just bought a nice 99 aero for 17K. I plan on having the bearing upgrade done. before I really drive it anywhere.

Best of lcuk to all

Registered Member
    Member No: 134632 scardini1 is an unknown quantity at this point scardini1's Avatar

Yes | No

Is there actually a way to prevent the catastrophy? How much does the bearing fix cost, and does it truly solve the problem?

I've been wrestling with picking up a 996 for some time now, but just won't risk it yet. I've also been spoiled by getting over 200k out of my 633 with any engine problems.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information