+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 160096 Garry_lay is an unknown quantity at this point Garry_lay's Avatar

Yes | No

EAT- Mark D'Sylva

Is EAT still in business? I searched this forum and found most of the discussions on the Mark D'Sylva chip were back in 2003.

I tried calling the phone number listed on the web site but didn't get a return call. I am trying to buy a chip for my 1991 E34 M5.

Mike 1991 M5

Yes | No

[Oops!], i hope so! i just sent him money 2 days ago

no reply yet... ungh.

Garry

Yes | No

Re: [Oops!], i hope so! i just sent him money 2 d

Did you just order from EAT web site directly ? Please let us know if you do receive the item, then I'll know they are still in business.

Mike 1991 M5

Yes | No

chip came today. yes, ordered directly.

I didn't get any sort of confirmation communication, but it showed up today in the mail. Going to install it first thing tomorrow morning.

Garry

Yes | No

Re: chip came today. yes, ordered directly.

Thanks for letting us know. What is the claimed HP and torque gain for the latest version of the EAT/D'sylva chip for our beloved E34 M5 ?

Mike 1991 M5

Yes | No

Not sure? I didn't do it for power gain.

I think it's like +15bhp at the top end but I don't really care; I rarely push the car to it's limit. I'm not sure if I could even feel the difference between 310bhp and 325bhp!

I installed the chip to smooth out the torque curve and give me better part-throttle response, and it did just that. Driving the car around town is much more tolerable now. It feels silky smooth. The idle used to be pretty rough/noisy (wup-wup-wup-wup sound) but it's smoothed out now, as well.

I figured I was going to do it sooner or later, so I may as well do it sooner (just bought the car a couple weeks ago). I think Mark could step up the professionalism a little bit... A confirmation email would have been nice. I would also expect that when I shell out $230 for a chip, it'd come in a static bag... But hey, it works great and that's what matters, right?

Registered Member
    Member No: 70717 JonWoods is an unknown quantity at this point JonWoods's Avatar

Yes | No

Impressions?

Just curious what you guys think of the EAT tuning... Thinking of getting one myself.

Mike 1991 M5

Yes | No

I had to take mine out.

As nice as it made driving the car when you're not giving it much throttle, it made it knock/ping quite a bit when giving it throttle below 5,000rpm. I think this is just due to crappy gas in California. Still need to talk to Mark about it, as I read on the yahoo mailing list that he had a California version of the chip that was a little less aggressive with the timing advance -- but as I mentioned in another thread, I get no replies to emails... Will have to call him soon.

Garry

Yes | No

Re: I had to take mine out.

Mike:

Please let us know as I also live in California and I have not had a chance to install the EAT chip I bought a few weeks ago from them. From the earlier 2003 threads here, I read that the D'Sylva EAT chip was supposed to have no knock/ping when compared to the Dinan chip (which I currently have in my 91 M5 now). I do get slight knock/pin when throttle around 3000rpm with a 1996 Dinan chip and with the CA 91 Octane gas and no knock/pin above 3000rpm (that I can discern).

Thanks,

Garry

Registered Member
    Member No: 70717 JonWoods is an unknown quantity at this point JonWoods's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks...

FWIW - The ping can have a lot to do with your engine's state of tune - especially the cleanliness of your combustion chambers (where excess carbon can lead to hot spots or increased compression). An engine that was already running a little lean won't like being pushed either. High RPM knock is an excellent way to destroy pistons so it's not something you want to fool with.

BTW - 12Oz of toluene (about $5 a gallon) or a gallon of race gas when you fill up can up the octane to more reasonable levels (~94) although I'm pretty sure Mark's chips are designed to run with standard 91 octane presuming no other issues with the car.

Mike 1991 M5

Yes | No

true that, but...

...the engine has only 45,000 miles on it and was given a full inspection II at 41k. when the chip was in, i tried some octane boost, which is mostly toulene, and it didn't seem to help. pulled the chip and went back to stock and it runs smooth.

i will be bringing the car into my mechanic pretty soon to have him look at it and tune what he can. will pop the chip back in after that to see if there's a difference.

Registered Member
    Member No: 147189 LagunaM5 is an unknown quantity at this point LagunaM5's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: EAT- Mark D'Sylva

Email Mark at Mark D'Sylva

[email protected]
    mark (at) dsylva-tech.ca

I have had his EAT chip in my 91 M5 for about a year and couldn't be happier. I've only put a few thousand miles on it, but I haven't heard it ping or knock once. I live in CA and was clear with Mark that I needed a 91 octane chip.

Power improvement is noticeable, and the jump in power at 4k rpm is gone because it has more power between 3k and 4k. I've heard estimates of 35 hp gain. Apparently it's much easier to extract extra power from an OBD-I car.

Join the yahoo E34M5 group. Mark has an E34M5 and is a member of the group, although I don't think he keeps in touch as much as some of us.

Eric Lee
    91 M5
    Monterey, CA

Garry

Yes | No

Re: EAT- Mark D'Sylva

Eric:

Do you happen to remember the part number of your EAT chip ? I still have not installed mine yet and I also live in CA with the 91 octane gas available. I just want to make sure my EAT ship is the same one you installed in your 1991 M5.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information