+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 26801 jjamonte is an unknown quantity at this point jjamonte's Avatar

Yes | No

New Owner with some Questions

Greetings all! I'm the new owner of a 2005 645ci with 57,000 miles. Car was originally sold in December of 2004 so it's actually 3 years old. The car is black on black with the sports package, active steering and active roll stabilization. It's been a big adjustment but I'm enjoying the car after 12 years of owning a 1989 635csi with a 5 speed manual (sold it to a close neighbor and friend who will care for it as I have).

I've managed to comprehend the Idrive and the various controls but have a few questions:

1. Idrive engine oil level check; when I try to use it I get "no measure possible at this time" no matter when I check it. Engine running, not running, warm, cold, and there is no mention of it in the owners manual. The car has a dipstick so I've verified the oil level is correct ( I changed it last week, along with the filter and air filter). Any ideas?

2. Fluids; I'd like to change the tranny and diff fluids. Has anyone done this? I've worked on many BMWs over the years and they always specify what type of oil is used in the manual, but of course, this one doesn't. There's a tag on the tranny that specifies a bmw oil that I'm going to check on. But if someone's done it, let me know.

3. When you open the door after the car has been sitting for a long time you hear the sound of a motor running for approximately 15 seconds. Does anyone know what this sound is, just curious?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Joe in San Diego.

Registered Member
    Member No: 158282 Jhud is an unknown quantity at this point Jhud's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: New Owner with some Questions

the oil level sensor has to read for about 5-10 minutes before it can give you an accurate reading.
    the trans has a "lifetime fill" and i wouldnt recommend changing it since its a 2005 and theres no way it has 100k on it yet.
    the motor running is the SMG pump running, it pressurizes when you wake up hte vehicle so it will be ready to go when you are. yet another reason i wouldnt mess with the trans oil.

Registered Member
    Member No: 26083 r.merkle is an unknown quantity at this point r.merkle's Avatar

Yes | No

motor may also be the cd cnanger as well

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

It almost sounds like you have my car, 57k miles on MY05. Congrats

#1 a 2005 does not read engine oil level via electronics. Your cars software was updated along the way so that you have the "apparent" capability to do this but that is not how MY05s are done nor did the original softare include this "feature". You use the stick just like a normal car. Later MY 6ers and 5ers, etc do have iDrive capability to read electronically via iDrive.

#2 Are you true manual (3 pedals) or SMG? In any case despite BMW claims on lifetime fills of anything I believe you are correct in doing some PM. I do not have fluid specs other than engine oil.
    "1999 Model Year and Later Oil Recommendation :
    BMW High Performance Synthetic oil must be used on all 1999 and later BMW vehicles which have oil change intervals of approximately 15,000 miles (except M5 produced up to 3/00 and E46 M3, E36 M roadster and M coupe with S54 engines) as stated in the owners manual. In addition, there is a label affixed to the engine cover which states the oil specifications and refers to the BMW website (www.bmwusa.com) and toll free number (1-800-831-1117) for additional information." This is same as Castrol Full Synthetic 5W-30

#3 You can get several clicking and whirring sounds based on equipment. As already stated, SMG Pump, 6CDC cycling, plus the NAV DVD cycling, and ARS pump (high pressure of about 2000 psi or more). May even be some other things. But all normal.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.knightsoftheroundel.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

BTW - Did you do Sharkfests in your 635Csi?

SESF now includes the e63 and I have attended the past 2 years. Will again in April 2008 in Winston-Salem. Be nice if we could get more participation. We have a core group of about 5 e63/64s that attend but would like to increase it. We come from Florida (me), Miss, NY, NJ and NC. I think we will add to teh crown next year. We try to do a Tail of the Dragon event either before or after SESF as well. Join us if you can
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

Registered Member
    Member No: 26801 jjamonte is an unknown quantity at this point jjamonte's Avatar

Yes | No

#1 That's what I thought might be the case since there is no mention of it in the manual.

#2 Car is an SMG, forgot to specify that in my post. I'll check with the parts guys at BMW re the tag that I see on the tranny for the oil specs.

#3 Thanks.

RE SESF, I'm in San Diego so travelling to the South East would be a bit too far! Read about it in the Roundel (BMW CCA magazine). There's a west coast version but haven't been to it.

Thanks for the help.

Joe in San Diego.

Registered Member

Yes | No

The jjsd"NY" fooled me:-)

_______

Registered Member
    Member No: 157485 berk7775 is an unknown quantity at this point berk7775's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: BTW - Did you do Sharkfests in your 635Csi?

hey sign me up i have my 635 88 and just got a 07 650 conv last week. looking for other enthused individuals or groups call any time 516-526-7775 or [email protected]

Registered Member

Yes | No

See this thread and check out SESF - bring both

cars!!!!
    _______

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information