+ Reply to Thread
    Dave in Des Moines

Yes | No

I think I'm going to do the m30b34 -->m30b35 swap

I've had my 1987 535is for about 6 months and I'm just not happy with the power. I used to have a 1988 635csi which felt a lot more responsive and powerful.

the 208HP and +40 HP with a eBay chip is just too tempting and everything I've read makes it look like a very easy swap.

I'm also putting a 3.73 LSD in at the same time. The combo of those two ugrades should really make the car fun.

If anyone has use for a good used m30b34 engine out of my 535is I'll let the board know when it's for sale.

Matt Hernandez

Yes | No

not really worth it when you can go turbo IMO

the compression is already low (8:1) and the engine will last forever, the time and money to put the b35 in isnt worth it. The plus is that its all bolt on.
    You should really weigh that option before pulling the trigger :)

ray7er6er5er

Yes | No

Don't believe '40 hp' with just a chip.

Dave in Des Moines

Yes | No

Re: not really worth it when you can go turbo IMO

OK, I'm not very technical so what kind of cost and HP increase would I be looking at with a turbo kit?

Can you get more power out of turboing a b34 than a b35?

Dave in Des Moines

Yes | No

Yeah, if it sounds too good to be true...(nm)

Registered Member
    Member No: 136776 Mark_88_M5 is on a distinguished road Mark_88_M5's Avatar

Yes | No

No offense - but if you are asking that, you need

to do a bunch of research. You can spend bundles of money on either NA or turbo horsepower. About the most you can expect from a NA M30 (b34 or 35) is going to mid to high 200's at the rear wheels. If you turbo either that would be more like 350 - 400.

Dave in Des Moines

Yes | No

No offense taken, just looking for a ballpark

...estimate. $2000? $4000? Could it be done for under $1000?

This is why I'm leaning to just swapping the engine. Turboing could be in the future as I learn more but I don't have the know-how to do it myself and the costs could easily get out of hand. I just don't know jack about turboing, but I'm reading the mye28.com boards

Swapping in the m30b35 is straight forward for most shops, relatively cheap and easy to maintain. The extra 26+ horses and a 3.73 LSD should put me where I want to be under $2000. Plus I'll have a good m30b34 engine so in the future I could pick up a e28 with a blown engine and experiment with turboing that myself as I learn more and build up some tools.

Some of you guys are so gifted with cars that you forget 99% of us are relative idiots and can't do all the work ourselves.

Dave in Des Moines

Yes | No

Re: not really worth it when you can go turbo IMO

According to this link a TCD stage 1 kit is $3875 not including all of the labor. That's WAY more than I'm looking to spend right now and way beyond my capabilities at this point.

I appreciate the response, I'll probably end up finding an e28 with a blown engine and throw my current engine in there an turbo it overr the next 2 years. In the meantime, for under $1200 I'm going to get an extra 26 hp with a m30b35 swap.

Cheap (kinda) and easy! That's how I like my ladies and my cars.

Registered Member
    Member No: 136776 Mark_88_M5 is on a distinguished road Mark_88_M5's Avatar

Yes | No

Bolt in the 3:73 diff and chip the ECU and drive

it. I would suspect that you wouldn't be able to have the B35 installed for less than $2K in parts and labor. To take full advantage of the B35 you should have the motronics upgraded to the 1.3 version which requires a donor harness from an '88 528e, E24 or early M30 powered E34.

These cars are not designed to accelerate from a standing start; they are road cars and love to run on the open road. A Mark D'sylva chip and the 3:73 differential will make the car feel much faster around town and won't hurt the highway mileage hardly at all.

Dave in Des Moines

Yes | No

Alright you guys talked me out of it.

I'm going to hold off on the engine swap and just concentrate on all of the other mods that I can make which will transfer to a b35 should I ever decide to do it in the future.

Other than things like a chip, the LSD, brace, K&N air filter I need to upgrade the wheels, tire and suspension anyway. Someday I will do the swap, but since my engine is fine, I'll wait until I HAVE to do a swap... or I win the lottery.

Registered Member
    Member No: 33285 88m53453 is an unknown quantity at this point 88m53453's Avatar

Yes | No

skip the K&N

your engine will love you or it

butlertron

Yes | No

And what do you know about that?

Since you've never "gone turbo" I dont think you're in a position to give advice on the subject.

Registered Member
    Member No: 121293 JoeinNJ is an unknown quantity at this point JoeinNJ's Avatar

Yes | No

Matt, Please e-mail me directly

Matt, I need a good use ecu for a 1987 5 535is. Please e-mail me directly.

Thanks

Joe in NJ

[email protected]

Registered Member
    Member No: 142439 super_eurobeat is an unknown quantity at this point super_eurobeat's Avatar

Yes | No

replied

Registered Member
    Member No: 163215 bmwknowitall is an unknown quantity at this point bmwknowitall's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I think I'm going to do the m30b34 -->m30b35 swap

Great conversion with only a few problems in the way.
    1. remember to put the collant hose hookup on the back of the cylinder head before installing
    2. Try to find the rare VERY rare intake without the VAC boost hose hole AND natually without the cold start valve area. I have two intakes from 88 735's that had the old hydralic boost system.
    3. Also its best to get a motor from 1988-1990 because BMW opened the intake ports a little to big casing a bigger risk of cracked head as all 10 to 1 3.5 allways do.
    4. Remeber to remove the one oil plug from the oil filter housing area on the block. (this part is tricky for the beginner)

I know you want to go with the more HP 10 to 1 3.5 but its such an unreliable motor with the head crack and rocker snapping problems they have. Its funny since spend a lot of my time removing 10 to 1's and replaceing them with 8 to 1's since its a smart thing to do and a less expensive better repair with only a 12HP loss. BUT the 10 to 1 engine management system is able to accept a chip too that encreases the power WAY more then the old 059 system. What I did for fun with oneof my 535is's was keep the old m30 but replace the management system with the newer and chipped it. Just plugged the cold start valve and lines. It worked great little trouble starting and keeping it running when its cold put the power and MGP increase is great..

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information