+ Reply to Thread
    Rob

Yes | No

Do YOU change your OIL Or spend $ at DEALERSHIP?

Just curious ,

Dealers are expensive , but alot of us just dont have the free time with working alot , to do work on the car all the time ,

Do you get under your E36 M3
    & do your oil/filter changes ,

or just go ahead & have the dealer do it for you ?

What kind of filter & oil do you use ?

How hard is changing the airbox filter ? & inside cabin filters ?

Best place to order these from ?

Thanks for advice & help ,
    Rob

Bob K

Yes | No

Re: Do YOU change your OIL Or spend $ at DEALERSHIP?

I have never brought a vehicle in for an oil change. It takes less than a half hour if you want to get it done quickly. I like to take the time to check and refill fluids while the oil is draining. I check everything out and get small projects done. I like to leave the oil draining until it is completely done. Since that takes more than a half hour I don't imagine the dealers and quickies are concerned with thoroughly draining the crankcase. The filter is very easy to change. You don't have to work under the car to do it. Be very careful not to cross thread or overtighten the cover when you reassemble it.
    I am using Mobil 1 full synthetic from WalMart and ADAP Gold oil filters right from thier store. An engineer did a thorough testing of oil filters and ADAP was about at the top of the list for best filtration with least flow restriction.
    The engine air filter couldn't be easier to change. It is in a little drawer that slides open after you release two clips. The cabin air filter requires removal of the glove compartment to change. There are detailed links descriptions available on line.

///MRider

Yes | No

I agree

You can save a lot of money with this car if you're a do it youselfer. If you can, change the oil yourself. It's an easy job.

Registered Member
    Member No: 49642 beecee is an unknown quantity at this point beecee's Avatar

Yes | No

I change all of the fluids myself....

Mobil 1 15W50 in the engine, Redline MTF in gearbox, Redline 75W90 in the fiff, and Motul RBF600 in the brake system. I've been using Purolator oil filters. All available at local retailers....for me anyway :)

Air filter change is cake, although the cabin filter is a PITA! There are several write-ups on how to do it. Getting the old one out is not so bad but folding the new one and getting it in place caused me to let the expletives fly.

If you take it somewhere for the oil change, I would recommend an indie shop in your area.....they are more likely to put in the proper oil. IMO, the E36 needs a heavier weight oil than 5W30. Check with different shops and see what they would put in your car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 125608 dephs is an unknown quantity at this point dephs's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Do YOU change your OIL Or spend $ at DEALERSHI

there are lots of resources online for BMW DIY this forum is very good reference.
    if you don't want to buy your parts online become a BMWCCA member and get 10%
    off your parts purchases from the dealership. nother thing that helps is; get in good
    with someone who works in an autoshop and see if you can get weekend lift time. that's what i do.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information