+ Reply to Thread
    Matt

Yes | No

94 740i Transmission or possibly engine stuttering

I'm not sure how to explain this, so I'll just describe the problem.

I've got a German spec 1994 740i with an automatic transmission. Actually we just got it and I want to make sure everything is fine with the car.

The problem is when I initially start off to drive when I've just selected "D" from the shifter. If I press lightly on the gas pedal, for a smooth drive-off, the engine or transmission stutters. If I press a little harder, it drives fine. I don't understand it honestly. The dealer told me this was an "engine brake" and that it helps keep the car from rolling on inclines if you take your foot off the brakes.

Honestly, this is the only problem that I've found - other than the interior dash board lights aren't working, likely due to a blown fuse. If someone can tell me where, and which, fuse I should replace I'd appreciate it. The car runs fine other than that. Engine sounds great. The transmission doesn't make any noise and seems to transition through the gears just fine. Only when making the initial start, from a stop light for instance, does this problem happen (if it is a problem). If this isn't a problem, is there some way to disable it? It's a bit annoying honestly.

No tranny-error lights coming on at all..

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

94 740i Transmission or possibly engine stuttering

Hi Matt,

first of all welcome here in the E32 community. There are some other boards also specialized on the E32. Use my website below for information, there is also a download for the onwers manual and other tips and tricks.
    click here

Wiring diagrams are also the based on production year.

"The problem is when I initially start off to drive when I've just selected "D" from the shifter. If I press lightly on the gas pedal, for a smooth drive-off, the engine or transmission stutters. If I press a little harder, it drives fine. I don't understand it honestly. The dealer told me this was an "engine brake" and that it helps keep the car from rolling on inclines if you take your foot off the brakes."

that is not normal. Maybe you clean the idle control valve and look for airleaks in the intake system.

"other than the interior dash board lights aren't working, likely due to a blown fuse. If someone can tell me where, and which, fuse I should replace I'd appreciate it"

Fuses are under the hood and under rear seat driver side (LHD). Use the correct wiring diagram and trobeshooting manual as listed on my website below, usually from around page 15 all relais and fuses are explained in detail, for what they are and where they are.
    Under the cover of the fuse box in the engine room there is also a sticker explaining the fuses.
    If only some do not work, replace them, info on my websote how to remove the steering wheel and the cluster.
    Use online shops for parts such as www.autohausaz.com
    much cheaper.
    Another reason for the dashlight not on could be the dimmer switch. Did you turn that one down? Check that first before you start disassembling other things.
    Study the owners manual in detail, buy a Bentley repair Manual for the E32, helps to save money.
    Visit the other E32 boards as shown on my website, good info everywhere.

Shogun's E32 Tech Tips: http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/auto.htm

Matt

Yes | No

Re: 94 740i Transmission or possibly engine stutte

Thanks, that's great information.

I did get the dash lights working - the number 5 fuse was blown. Replaced with a new one and I was back in business.

I'll also look into this stuttering problem now that I know it's not normal.

I appreciate your help!!

Matt

Yes | No

Today, actually about a half hour ago, I finished cleaning the Mass Air Sensor, hoping this would have some positive result, but sadly none. I read several posts from other BMW owner's who said they had positive gains.

I guess my next option is to clean the idle control valve as mentioned above, but my car idles just fine, so I have my doubts.

Basically if I lightly put my foot on the gas pedal, and hold it, the engine needs to reach about 1500rpm before the car starts to move, which is a pronounced "stuttering". If I mash down on the pedal harder, then there seems to be a slight hesitation, but no real stuttering.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a torque converter problem - the car shifts between all the gears just fine, and I don't notice any other problems after the initial start-off.

I think I'll replace all the spark plugs as well, just to eliminate the possibility.

Any other thoughts?

Matt

Yes | No

Just to update - I also found that selecting winter mode on the transmission doesn't show any of the problems that I have just using economy mode. Winter mode bypasses 1st gear, essentially making starts from 2nd gear instead.

Makes me think this problem is directly related to the transmission. I also took it to my local Stuttgart BMW dealer and asked a service tech to drive it. He also suggested the car has transmission problems, but the engine was fine. He didn't charge me either, which was surprising. Probably thought I was some broke bloat since I was driving a 13 year old car. :)

The car has been on the diagnostic computer recently as well, but nothing reported on the tranny; guessing because it's still working and hasn't actually failed.

Registered Member
    Member No: 14327 Highline is an unknown quantity at this point Highline's Avatar

Yes | No

ever changed transmission fluid and filter?

and checked the fluid level? That is not that easy on the 5HP30 tranny, as the filling and overflow is from bottom and the fluid must exactly have the correct temperature. Go to my website below, there is a link to Europeantransmissions.com, there have the detailed info on checking and refilling etc.Shogun's E32 Tech Tips: http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/auto.htm

Another7er

Yes | No

Re: ever changed transmission fluid and filter?

Matt,

It's defintely a transmission problem. I am having similar problems with my 7, except the car grinds/shutters in reverse gear. Please update your progress here. I am saving this link and will visit often for additional information.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information