+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 137945 CDADDY is an unknown quantity at this point CDADDY's Avatar

Yes | No

Oil change after new engine(remanfactured engine)

I read an article by Bavarian Engine, a supplier of rebuilt and remanfactured BMW engines, wwww.bavengine.com, which recommends an oil change at 500 miles after installation to remove metal from the break in of the engine and reduce oil useage. I decided to change my oil at 1200 miles. I was surprised to see several pieces of gasket material which had been floating around in the oil pan. Also, the RPMs dropped from 1500 to 1000 at idle. Its worth it to protect a new engine.

02 745i goes into the dealer for final repair while under warranty (ends 02/08) for trunk lid opening slowly and sometimes stopping at half way point, right rear door window noise, check tranny for clunking in gear while down shifting, and a brake system flush.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Oil change after new engine(remanfactured engine)

RPMs dropped from around 700 to 500 vice "1500 to 1000"

Registered Member
    Member No: 101305 Ekkehart is an unknown quantity at this point Ekkehart's Avatar

Yes | No

It is interesting how the same facts can lead to different perceptions. If an oil change is recommended after a remanufacture/overhaul of an engine and foreign matter is found in the oil it shows bad workmanship. I would never ever touch an engine from such a shop. A rebuilt engine should be 100% clean and free of metal chips, pieces of gaskets etc. This is why BMW does not require or recommend an oil change after 500 or 1500mls. This was something done 30 years ago when there was break in oil used. An oil change resulting in a considerable drop (500) in rpms? How should that happen?

Registered Member

Yes | No

The engine replacement was done at the BMW dealership. Reading the article from the website made me curious of the condition of the oil, which is why I changed it. The question is still open on the RPM issue. This may be an unrelated action which I will address at the dealer tomorrow when I drop it off for servicing. May just need a simple adjustment. The car seems to be running okay.

trendsetta

Yes | No

how much was engine and install

Registered Member

Yes | No

Around 23K

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information