+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 75402 m735is is an unknown quantity at this point m735is's Avatar

Yes | No

Any tricks to threading E brake cable?

Or is it pretty staright foward?Steve B
    4/85 e23 735i (summer/fall use)
    1/88 e32 735i (winter/spring use)
    6/88 e32 735iL (long term project)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Will the lever end of the cable push through?

I quickly tried to get the old broken cable out yesterday-pulling from the wheel side. It was hanging up at the smaller blue tube inside the car. Will the cable go through this tube and out into the larger conduit, then out the back plate?

Or do I have to remove the exhaust, heat shield, etc and do something up under there where it enters the cabin?

When I go to install the new one, do I just push it in from the back plate end up through to the lever?

Anyone ever try to splice the cable back together? I have enough of another back plate end piece to work with from one of my parts cars. I just clipped through the condiut to remove the subframe before the shell was towed away, so I have no idea what the correct process is and I can't find any good pictures to guide me.Steve B

Registered Member

Yes | No

Done-

If I would have waited until the replacement cable came in from BMW, I would have seen that it was self explanatory.
    It comes with the conduit and all. I thought it was just the cable with the ends on it.
    Pull (knock out with screw driver/chisel/prybar because of corrosion issues) each end of the conduit out of the mounting holes. One at the back of the wheel and one just above the subframe. Thread in new cable up into the chassis, thread other end through the wheel, secure the conduit into the holes (push fit), botton up everything needed to undo to get the cable out.

Hardest part was getting the conduit out from over the subframe. After that many years, it was pretty secure.Steve B

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information