+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 30369 TLK is an unknown quantity at this point TLK's Avatar

Yes | No

Geez guys, another month went by and our posts

Have we lost interest, shopping for another car? I am actually.

TLK
    '93 325i sedan
    '98 M3 sedan

HSV-DAN

Yes | No

Pretty tired group...

What are you looking for?

Registered Member
    Member No: 128312 wizman007 is an unknown quantity at this point wizman007's Avatar

Yes | No

What are you looking for??

Registered Member

Yes | No

Might be time try something else

Been looking at C6 Corvette, now that GM finally improved the steering feel on 2008. I'd get a base car with the Magnetic dampers (like on E90 M3), Z51 sways and standard 6-spd but regear the rear end with 4.10 and get the ECU tuned. Stock would be 430 hp in a 3200 lb car (same weight as the E36 M3), tuned I dunno.

Kind of a diamond in the rough. The car would need to be stripped and sound insulation installed, and sound system bundled with the NAV isn't very good either.

My wife asks if I have any problems with driving such a typical midlife crisis car right when I hit the target age, but it doesn't bother me. Ironically, C6 is top of her list for looks, followed by Cayman. We both think the new M3 is ugly, but probably a pretty good car. I'm a little bored with BMWs now, ownership, maintenance, the expensive, sometimes snotty aftermarket. I need a different car experience.

STi is hatchback only now (ugly), but I think Evo is in a sedan, but just not drawn to it.
    TLK
    '93 325i sedan
    '98 M3 sedan

Registered Member
    Member No: 137859 bigblock is an unknown quantity at this point bigblock's Avatar

Yes | No

I've been considering an E46 M3 coupe

still not sure if I want to do this or not.[IMG][IMG]img=137859[/IMG][IMG]

Registered Member
    Member No: 49533 95DayVI is an unknown quantity at this point 95DayVI's Avatar

Yes | No

m lounge killed it

_______
    GC RTAB shims, RSMs, T/S Coilover with Koni DA f/SA R & 450#f/550#r Eibach ERS
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    Sunbelt CAMS w chip for 24# injectors, Euro MAF, Conforti/ITG CAI
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    Euro fLoAtErS, Ferodo DS2500
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    All done in my garage

DanC-1996M3

Yes | No

I know. It's been sad watching it whither away.

I myself have been bouncing between my '96 M3 and my '02 330i as daily drivers. I think this is the year I may sell my E36... and it likely be the last one I own -- not because of any ill feelings towards the E36. This is my third one I've owned. Just that I feel I've been slowly forced to move on. I don't see myself owning an E36 forever. At least not this one. Maybe I'd pick up a lower mileage example and not daily drive it. I dunno.

Anyways, I still lurk here on a daily basis.

Heh. It's the same few of us.... TLK... bigblock... HSV-DAN... WIZ... 95DayVi.... ghollis... etc. Unfortunate!

Apparently no one else wants to kick it "old school". We're definitely the more "fuddy-duddy" of today's E36 M3 owner's. I say that, and I'm only 28.

dan c.

HSV-DAN

Yes | No

Re: I've been considering an E46 M3 coupe

I do have to say, I like the more muscular look of the e46, but my e36 is for the couple of days I get to the track. Fortunately with the stiff suspension, my e36 is not my commuter car. The e46 would be good there if left stock.

HSV-DAN

Yes | No

I meant to look at the vette...

But couldn't do it when the time came. No doubt it is a great performer and I should have driven one.

I did get very close on the Cayman S, but you hear every bit of the mid engine. It's a sweet sound but that gets old fast. I had an M Coupe for 5 years and it had a similar loudness, but from sitting on top of the exhaust instead of the engine. It would be a wonderful weekend car out on the country roads.

The 335i Coupe won overall and is my daily driver. Huge grunt for a 3L six, quiet, well behaved if you want to be. And if you don't...

I don't care for the e90 sedan look at all, but the e92 coupe style really caught my eye and sucked me in for the test drive. Love it. I doubt I can deal with any issues other than the basics if there are problems, but none so far. Now, just add limited slip, sticky tires and take it out on the track!

HSV-DAN

Yes | No

By the way,

the e90/92 board really sucks. No one talks about the car, just lease rates, BMWNA bitching and runflat issues. I come back here for grease and oil and brake pad dust.

Bob K

Yes | No

Get over it.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Same reaction as you

Cayman is a nice performer, but I can't deal with noise like that. And clearly not a car to buy new. A guy at work got a S52 powered M coupe, and it clearly is not a car for me. It is way too loud.

I agree with you that the new 3 coupes are better looking than the sedans. The thing is, that for me, if there's a choice, I might as well get the sedan version of the same car. Now, since Corvette doesn't come in a sedan, there's no problem with choice.

The 135i has caught my interest a little. Back seat potential for a rare family outing in my car, but shorter wheelbase keeps the fun level up since I mostly just drive myself around anyway, or just drop the little off 5 min away from home on my way to work. I haven't driven the 335i, probably should, but on paper it seems just too close to the E36 M3 sedan I have in performance. Perhaps I'm being nearsighted about that.
    TLK
    '93 325i sedan
    '98 M3 sedan

Registered Member
    Member No: 23191 Jeff98NY has a spectacular aura about Jeff98NY has a spectacular aura about Jeff98NY's Avatar

Yes | No

I gained interest, mine runs again

-------------

Registered Member

Yes | No

I have a friend that moved E36->E46 M3's

Seats are better, upgraded electronic stack. More comfortable commuter car.

I actually looked into buying one just before they went out of production, but it didn't happen. I'm a little scared of buying a used one given the S54 issues and how I've been fooled by sellers before about the nature of their service regimens.

TLK
    '93 325i sedan
    '98 M3 sedan

Registered Member
    Member No: 114471 HurtinUnit is an unknown quantity at this point HurtinUnit's Avatar

Yes | No

Everything I end up needing is in the archives

HSV-DAN

Yes | No

e36 vs 335

The numbers may look similar, but the performance and feel is completely different. The 335 has huge torque just off of idle which results in an effortless feel. The e36 pulls off nicely but it really gets moving with high revs. The 3.2 L is a bit stronger than my 3.0, but I'm running a 3.45 gear to help things along.

I'm ashamed to say, I very seldom push the 335 up the RPM scale. There's very few places I can get away with that around town anymore.

The 135 will be interesting, slightly lighter, maybe $4 to $5K less when optioned similarly? I haven't run the numbers, just what I hear.

Be careful about a test drive, you'll be trapped!

HSV-DAN

Yes | No

I did.

Registered Member
    Member No: 34951 kevin72 is an unknown quantity at this point kevin72's Avatar

Yes | No

Same here. It's still a great resource, if not

the big social scene anymore.

Kevro

M3 Matt

Yes | No

Re: I know. It's been sad watching it whither away

Tim95M3

Yes | No

Re: Geez guys, another month went by and our posts

go to bimmerforums ;)

+ Reply to Thread