+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 35229 tem is an unknown quantity at this point tem's Avatar

Yes | No

2000 XJ8 Audio Upgrade - SubWoofer

The Audio Manual describes a SubWoofer, but I don't think that my car has one. Is this a simple device adder from the Jag Parts Department. Or should I just buy a simple amp and speaker.

I'm not going for power, I want better / Clearer sound.

Or, should I change the Door Speakers with Good Speakers. Do the Door Speaker Grills POP OFF??? Or must I remove the door panels to get the speakers off.

Thanks in Advance

Tom

Registered Member
    Member No: 161202 ryecatcher is an unknown quantity at this point ryecatcher's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2000 XJ8 Audio Upgrade - SubWoofer

I'm not sure if the xj8 has one but my 2002 VDP SC has a so-called subwoofer, and I can tell you you are not missing much. The stock sub is a 6x9 dual voice coil Alpine, and it kinda sucks. I guess it's better than nothing, but not by much. I investigated on this thread and elsewhere on replacement of it, and basically nothing fits in the stock hole that I think would be an improvement. It is a very shallow mounting depth, and the gas tank is right below it.
    I recommend, in order of difficulty/expense/and best sound:

1. Replace everything, start from scratch with good stuff.

2. Replace all speakers with Nakamichi, or your preferred equivalent. Speaker sound is subjective, and what sounds good to you may not to someone else. I like the Nak's because they have a very warm and clean sound. Keep the stock amp. In addition, add a trunk mounted subwoofer (I like the JL's) with a good amp. a 10" JL should give you more than enough for clean low bass.

3. Just add a subwoofer & amp.

4. Replace just the speakers. I did this on my Miata with Nakamichi speakers and it has plenty of rich bass for me. Yes, it could have more, but you can always have more. You'd be amazed what a difference having decent speakers makes. IMO, Alpine makes nice electronics, but lousy speakers. (yours might have the HK, i'm not sure).

5. Replace only the fronts, and use the stock rears as fill (move the fader a few clicks up). This is the cheapest route, and a good one to try first. You can always add on later.

Good luck!

ps. If anyone knows a good replacement for the 6x9 sub back there, let me know! I really don't want to put a box in the back or lose the spare tire. . . .

Registered Member

Yes | No

One Last Question ?? Can I Pop the Grill

Do I have to remove the door panel to get to the speaker, or can I pop the Speaker Grill then remove the speaker???

Thanks Mate

Cheers

Tom

Presence

Yes | No

Where exactly is the stock "subwoofer"? I thought it was located in the rear window, not near the gas tank. I am confused.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I might be wrong, but ....

The gas tamk is located behing the rear seat, under the rear shelf

kris

Yes | No

Re: One Last Question ?? Can I Pop the Grill

You must remove the door panels. Go to carstereoremoval.com for instructions.

Registered Member
    Member No: 161202 ryecatcher is an unknown quantity at this point ryecatcher's Avatar

Yes | No

The stock sub is a 6x9 and is located on the rear package shelf. The gas tank is right below this. The stock sub is very shallow and has a tiny magnet. You can see it easily if you take the rear trim cover off in the trunk. As you can see, there is barely any clearance. Any subwoofer worth anything will be too deep for the stock hole, since you can't cut into the gas tank . . . .

Registered Member

Yes | No

Should a 2000 XJ8 have a Sub Woofer ??

If it does, it isn't adjustable as the selection does not appear in the MODE selection Menu.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information