+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Registered Member
    Member No: 163645 KarlR is an unknown quantity at this point KarlR's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: How many of you have had broken rear springs?

Well you can now add me to the list as well. I thought my shock mounts were damaged so replaced them with Rogue. This was also in part because I have an 2001 325ix Wagon and it takes hours to get to the top of the shock mount (the whole trunk needs to be torn apart). With the Rogues you can replace shocks from the wheel well. Anyway, when I took it for a number of test drives I still had the metal vibration on very rough roads. I then found that the bottom of the my spring was broken. When reading this forum, I then went back to look at the other side and sure enough, that side was broken in the exact same spot. I can't believe there is not a recall on this with what we are all experiencing. I'm trying to find replacements on the web to no avail. The only ones I seem to find lower the height. I'm really not looking to lower my car as it will reduce the ground clearence in the snow, but that said, I have probably been driving with my back about 1 inch lower for some time now. Has anyone tried the aftermarket springs from Vogtland, H&R or Eibach?

Registered Member
    Member No: 164616 rddcse is an unknown quantity at this point rddcse's Avatar

Yes | No

Me too E46 w// 40k both broken at bottom. Fortunately did a CPO Buyout off my lease. Dealer says this happens a lot. Corrosion related stress cracks because the spring sets down in the pot in the lower control arm. Oh well.

Registered Member
    Member No: 11819 hollysmac is on a distinguished road hollysmac's Avatar

Yes | No

Me too.

Holly
    1997 Tire/track utility trailer for both cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Topaz
    2002 M3 Electric Red

I will walk where my own nature would be leading; it vexes me to choose another guide.- E. Bronte

Rimmeb

Yes | No

Yep. Both. 45k miles.

JLB

Yes | No

2002 E46 M3--Both Broken Here Too!

JLB

Yes | No

Re: 2002 E46 M3--Are Springs covered CPO?

dbacks1000

Yes | No

I just noticed my right rear was about an inch low. I removed the wheel and saw that the spring is broken as the base on the bottom. This is crazy. I have not decided whether I am going to put stock springs back on or put on aftermarket coilovers.

Registered Member
    Member No: 57671 E36M3owner is an unknown quantity at this point E36M3owner's Avatar

Yes | No

My E46 M3 had both rear springs break at65K. My E36 M3 has had all the springs break at one time or another

Nan

Yes | No

Re: 2004 E46 M3--RR Broken Coil Here Too!

I have a 2004 325ci and the Rear Right coil spring broke. The tire is an inch lower to the ground but the left side is not. The tire seems to be a little tilted as well. I think this is a broken spring/coil.

Registered Member
    Member No: 110885 goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy has a brilliant future goatboy's Avatar

Yes | No

need to replace springs at least two at a time...

both backs or both fronts. The mechanical properties of springs change with use, especially when the spring is designed near the limits of the material.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information