+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 115407 dpl943 is an unknown quantity at this point dpl943's Avatar

Yes | No

Best E36 M3 to buy used?

Greetings,
    I accidently posted on the regular E36 forum, sorry. Any opinions as to the best year E36 M3 to buy used. I remember 1995 was desirable due to OBD1, but then there is VANOS in the later years. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Dave

Registered Member
    Member No: 49533 95DayVI is an unknown quantity at this point 95DayVI's Avatar

Yes | No

VANOS all years, r u going to mod?

_______
    GC RTAB shims, RSMs, T/S Coilover with Koni DA f/SA R & 450#f/550#r Eibach ERS
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    Sunbelt CAMS w chip for 24# injectors, Euro MAF, Conforti/ITG CAI
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    Euro fLoAtErS, Ferodo DS2500
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    All done in my garage

corkscrew:Laguna Seca

Registered Member
    Member No: 115407 dpl943 is an unknown quantity at this point dpl943's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: VANOS all years, r u going to mod?

Re: mods, nothing outrageous. Probably more suspension than engine. Probably exhaust. My main concern was the year that had the least problems,recalls,campaigns and that knowledgable owners would reccomend, if one year stands out. Basically, I feel they are all good, as the M3 is a High Performance car, just looking for a standout year if one could be reccomended. Pros/cons? Thanks.
    Dave L.

Registered Member
    Member No: 49533 95DayVI is an unknown quantity at this point 95DayVI's Avatar

Yes | No

susp. 95, more torque 96+, newer 96+

all manner of electronic nannies that lower your insurance 96+, can swap a 96+ to obd1 but some states frown on that. 95 one O2 sensor.

Everything else is subjective, like 4-2door, buttons on steering wheel, OBC.

realoem can show you some of the suspension differences.

My 95 interior is suffering in Tucson heat. The e30 and e46 are far more robust as far as interior go._______
    GC RTAB shims, RSMs, T/S Coilover with Koni DA f/SA R & 450#f/550#r Eibach ERS
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    Sunbelt CAMS w chip for 24# injectors, Euro MAF, Conforti/ITG CAI
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    Euro fLoAtErS, Ferodo DS2500
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    All done in my garage

corkscrew:Laguna Seca

Registered Member
    Member No: 83462 RK911 is an unknown quantity at this point RK911's Avatar

Yes | No

Get a '95 M3 and do this (link attached)

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=E36M3HFMCAMKIT

If I don't sell my car that's what I plan to do.

TLK

Yes | No

The newest, best preserved example you can afford

Yes the cars are relatively cheap now so there's money left over for modding.

But in my heretical view, substantial modding is a waste of time and money. The cars range in age from 14 to 9 years old, and basically it was designed in 1992 anyway. Even heavy engine mods (barring force induction) achieve very little compared with simply starting with a different car, yet cost a lot, particularly in labor (cams for instance).

Basically, you should try to find the newest, best preserved example with the colors you like for the right price.

- ADS

Yes | No

+55

All years suffer from water pump and radiator problems, do a search and you'll see the common problems and the things most of us fix preventatively.
    Also pay very close attention to the interior, door panels can warp and not fit, and you can't really restretch the covering, makes it worse.
    Some say this was more a problem with earlier e36's, but I'd bet it has to do mostly with how much sun and temp exposure there has been.
    Good luck,
    ADS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information