+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 128312 wizman007 is an unknown quantity at this point wizman007's Avatar

Yes | No

Trim replacement on the small window (4-dr)

This is on a 4-dr

I would like to replace the small vertical trim piece on the rear passenger side that separates the larger window from the smaller one. I also need to replace the small window seal on the inside of the door. Has anybody done this? Tips?

Also, the rear passenger side window is a DOT R (says made in the USA) replacement window and that just bothers me. I was thinking about getting a window from the dealer so that it would have the BMW logo and Sekurit E1. I know this my type A coming out, but I need to fix it. Is it difficult to replace the window?

This all comes from that fact that someone broke out the window during a previous ownership

Thanks for the suggestions

Registered Member
    Member No: 30369 TLK is an unknown quantity at this point TLK's Avatar

Yes | No

My recollection is not hard

It's not hard. I think that I removed it when I changed the lock solenoid on the rear door last year.

Essentially it goes like this. Remove the inner door panel, roll down the window some, unclip the window seal that was behind the top of the door panel, remove window rubber guide from the top of the window frame (not entirely I think), unsnap the window from the regulator and pull the glass out. The white plastic things the window attachment points snap into in the regulator usually break at this age (10 years), so I have a bag of them in my garage just in case I need to take a window out. Better have two on hand.

Once the retractable glass is out, you can remove the "partition" that holds the non-moving "triangle" window in. The partition is actually a window guide track, so you unbolt it from inside the door and carefully maneuver it around so that you can either push it around or remove it entirely from the door. As soon has you move it over, the triangle glass window will be loose and can fall and break if your attention wavers.

In my case, I either removed it or moved it far out of the way so I could work on the door latch mechanism at the rear of the door. Reassembly was quick and painless, except for a scratch I made on the black part of the window guide track that holds the triangle glass in.

TLK
    '93 325i sedan
    '98 M3 sedan

Registered Member
    Member No: 30369 TLK is an unknown quantity at this point TLK's Avatar

Yes | No

One thing I forgot to mention

Another thing about the white plastic things that hold the regulator arms to the window: there's a clip you have to remove on each before you can pull and unsnap the regulator arms. I use tiny pliers to grab them and also to put them back. Putting them back is a bit harder than removing them, but a little bit of cussing makes the job go down easy.

TLK
    '93 325i sedan
    '98 M3 sedan

Registered Member
    Member No: 128312 wizman007 is an unknown quantity at this point wizman007's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information