+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 16193 adrian is an unknown quantity at this point adrian's Avatar

Yes | No

Shell to be stripped and painted

I'm in Eastern Mass and looking for someone to strip, fix, and paint my shell. It's in very good condition. I sent one guy these pictures
    Pictures of the shell- he hasn't looked at the car in person yet but agrees that it's a worthy candidate. From what I understand this guy is very good. He also charges $80/hr for his work. What I didn't expect to hear is that the job would START at $20k. I know it's hard to say from pictures what the job would take, but I was thinking more towards 10 grand rather than STARTING at 20. At $80/hr, that's one person for 6 weeks. I'v never done body work (at least not GOOD body work ;) so I don't have a good feel for this. Anyone have any thoughts/advice/recommendations?
    Adrian

cca #109508
    75 2002A (waiting for the S14, goin on 6 years now)
    2004 R1150R Rockster

Registered Member
    Member No: 74344 roys74tii is an unknown quantity at this point roys74tii's Avatar

Yes | No

Expensive body work

Hey Adrian:
    I think that for 20+K you would spend in body repairs you could get a nice 02 Turbo. There's one on ebay motors. check it out.
    RG

Registered Member
    Member No: 16193 adrian is an unknown quantity at this point adrian's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Expensive body work

Excellent point Roy, but the fact is, my goal is not to acquire a nice '02, but to build one. This project is on my "bucket list" (but thankfully I'm not terminally ill at this time). I have about $30k in parts already, including a Pete McHenry S14, everything that Aardvark sells including redone recaros with matching rear seat, ireland engineering parts/upgrades, A/C Schnitzer type I rims from some guy in Denmark, etc. It has to be a specific color that I've picked, and I have to know the vehicle front to back, top to bottom, and will always do all the work on it myself (except for what i'm looking to get done now). So this is my dilemma. I'm trying to get some validation from someone out there that would agree that a restored and painted shell f an '02 in decent shape (I've taken it apart already and there's mostly just surface rust) could possibly cost $20k or more. Has anyone out there paid that much?
    Adrian

cca #109508
    75 2002A (waiting for the S14, goin on 6 years now)
    2004 R1150R Rockster

Registered Member
    Member No: 120934 meyere30 is on a distinguished road meyere30's Avatar

Yes | No

For that price you can buy a restored 02.

Registered Member
    Member No: 120934 meyere30 is on a distinguished road meyere30's Avatar

Yes | No

That seems high since you did all the hard work.

joel mack

Yes | No

Re: Expensive body work

Keep moving, That price is way to high for final bodywork & paint.Next he will find what he calls problem areas and the $20 start will climb to $25 or so rapidly. If you say that it is ready for paint or close to it then figure 8 to 14 for paint. (actually as high as you want) Price out before you jump into this one.

Arizona 02

Yes | No

Check with Matt Mcginn restoration shop

worth the drive to save thousands $$
    http://www.sports-car-restoration.com/

Registered Member
    Member No: 106174 badcabbage02 is an unknown quantity at this point badcabbage02's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Shell to be stripped and painted

I am doing the stripping myself (as well as painting) - just because I always wanted to try it and I can't afford $20K. As much as I love the BMW 2002, they just don't have the "turn around" sale value based on the cost of retoration. Here is my experiment:

http:[email protected]/sets/72157600369299622/

Yours in motoring,

Doctor (James) Frankenstein

Registered Member
    Member No: 163557 turkis_tii is an unknown quantity at this point turkis_tii's Avatar

Yes | No

Really depends on what is included. Check out this month's Roundel for a Turbo that was dipped in epoxy primer after stripping!

Registered Member
    Member No: 162651 02Tully is an unknown quantity at this point 02Tully's Avatar

Yes | No

Hey, I think you are being overcharged, but it may depend on your rust repair. Check your car's rust (as you mentioned) in places like underneath the front doors and panels and at the front of the rocker panel, both sides. If you find rust there or in the standard places like the shock towers inside and outside, the frame rails, lower doors, the windshield and rear window. Then I recommend you keep your parts and find a better shell. This may cost you about 3-4K for an empty rust free one, almost ready to paint.

Anyhow, good luck, I am working on the same thing!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information