+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 31467 rgbbe is an unknown quantity at this point rgbbe's Avatar

Yes | No

Interested in buying 2002???

Hi guys, I 've been bitten by the bug! Can't get the 2002 out of my mind, early mid life crisis I guess. I curently own 2 BMW' s and am a 12 year car club member and want a third. I am obseesed with buying a "project car". I can't belive the prices that these car a feching. I however am torn between a tii and carb model. My ideal car is a 73tii, the year I was born. Allthough I have heard nightmare stories about the fuel injection systems on these cars. For my "first" time should I buy a car that I can work on???? I am not afaraid of the money aspect of the deal, I dumped a ton of money into a 89 ic. I just want a car that I can do a 7-8 point resto and drive when my daughter is 3 or 4 years old, basicly I want to be the cool dad w/ the old car. I have admired these car ever since my 77 320, I in fact I had a chance to buy a 2002 factory turbo unrestored fo for $ 2K when I was 17. What a dumb F*^K I am for not buying that car then...Please help, my wife thinks I'm nuts little does she know????

Registered Member
    Member No: 120934 meyere30 is on a distinguished road meyere30's Avatar

Yes | No

Typical woman response. PFT.

My 1600 is carbed and is OK. Early fuel injection is good too. This is up to you. Both can be exspensive and rewarding. I would just look around and see what you fall in love with.

Registered Member
    Member No: 118085 alternativez2003 is an unknown quantity at this point alternativez2003's Avatar

Yes | No

Careful Scotty, women are pretty smart about

some things, and sometimes they save us from our own dumb selves. So, thirdson73, keep looking,somethiing great will turn up. Then you take your wife for the ride. First though it's cool to take her to some car shows or find a movie with the '02. Sell her first. I'm lucky or blessed that my wife loves what I do with cars, and she understands. The MINI S is hers; the projects are mine. You can always draw the analogy of the "mistress," and cars are infinitely less expensive than divorce.

Have fun with the looking and shopping, and remember to take her along and make a stop at the museum or garden shop or whatever it is she likes to do, and the car becomes something you deserve, just for being the great husband and father you are! Besides, it can take a while to find the right car. I suggest you find one in very good condition and pay more for it than to have one just sitting in the driveway or needing so much of your time that it becomes a strain on the family. That not only takes up your time, but ultimately more money and patience on everyone's part. I'd say just go for a carbed version. They are great fun and probably less money. As far as the year, don't get too hung up on having a '73. Mine's a '76, and as some would say, BMW had worked out the bugs and finally arrived at the best car in the series and then dropped it for the 320. All years are cool cars. Depending on if you expect to drive it every day or just occasionally, they are polluters, more so than more modern cars with FI, ECU's, and catalytic converters. Just a thought. So, mine's becoming an m42/2002. Good luck. Jim

Registered Member
    Member No: 31467 rgbbe is an unknown quantity at this point rgbbe's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Careful Scotty, women are pretty smart about

Thanx Jim, its not that she doesn't want me to buy a money pit. She remembers how consumed I was when I "redid" my cab. The thing is that we just finished building a new house with a 3 car garage. The 3rd bay is where the cab lives, she said that during construction she always pictured my project car there. After searching everywhere online,local etc, there is a lot of rust buckets out there.The floor rot is scary, the rockers,fenders,etc is not that bad. It's just how involved I want this to be. You're right spend a lttle more money and have something that I can take my child for a sunday drive before she goes to college (shes 4 months old now).Thanks for the thought, the BMW community is something that outsiders just dont get.

Registered Member
    Member No: 118085 alternativez2003 is an unknown quantity at this point alternativez2003's Avatar

Yes | No

Sometimes it's all about patience...

I've had a 1970 Datsun 240Z for over 15 years,and I've never driven it. It didn't run when I bought it, so it's been stripped down all this time. It's my real project. My wife (girlfriend then) and I cruised in the one I owned back when they were new, and we were young. I'm lucky, she likes my projects and likes crs herself, but this one has taken a back seat to putting kids through college, rebuilding several other more necessary cars, tripling the size of our house, my going back to school several times, well, you know. So this Z has the m30 from my '85 635 sitting in it, waiting, waiting...while right now I'm putting the '91 m42 into my 76 2002, and I just finished another class, and now have track to coach. I think the Z with the 3.5L will be a fine tribute to Albrecht Goertz, designer of the 503 and 507, I think, and also, in my opinion, the primary design genius behind the 240Z and the Toyota 2000GT of the early 70's. I just hope I can get it done before I'm too old to drive it. Later, Jim

Registered Member
    Member No: 74344 roys74tii is an unknown quantity at this point roys74tii's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Interested in buying 2002???

where are you? I know of a bnmwcca club member selling his 2002

RoyG

Registered Member
    Member No: 162651 02Tully is an unknown quantity at this point 02Tully's Avatar

Yes | No

Here's one:

http://www.bimmers.com/02/sale/cgi-bin/showad.cgi?../carsale+2008-061-21-37-25.db

Sounds good but pricey.

Registered Member
    Member No: 162651 02Tully is an unknown quantity at this point 02Tully's Avatar

Yes | No

Here looks like anoth very good possibility. I am looking for a 1973 02 myself. But not a tii.

Take a look.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/car/600649751.html

Tully

BG

Yes | No

buying 2002??? One for sale in MS $400

There is a rough square tail light 2002 in Vicksburg, MS. Only $400. The interior is rough, really rough. Oddly, the body looks pretty good. I have not looked underneath because the grass is too long. My friends keep hinting I should buy it but I need to simplify my life, not make it more complicated.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information