+ Reply to Thread
    Bmw540san

Yes | No

97 BMW 528i starter replacement DIY

Mine was starting to disengage few seconds late after starting. I'm aware that there are other things to check but with this symptom it's usually starter going bad. Contrary to Bentley Manual I was able to do everything from the top of the engine. Special tools nedded are E12 female torx socket, several different extensions and a lot of patience. I only removed air filter housing and MAF assembly. It looks impossible when you start but it isn't to difficult. Mine original starter was Magnety Marelli made in Italy.
    I got Bosch replacement made in Germany from Autohaus Arizona for $133. I'm aware I could find local rebuilder but they probably wouldn't be to much cheaper. Bosch unit also comes with 2 year warranty. I would encourage anybody with these symptoms to don't wait to long because it can lead to flywheel damage. The whole job took 4 hours. The best thing about it is $140 spent instead $500+ at reputable shop. I hope this helps somebody.

Registered Member
    Member No: 139814 vcondis is an unknown quantity at this point vcondis's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 97 BMW 528i starter replacement DIY

My 97 528i with 104k miles has been doing this for about two years,it does it only when cold though,(ambient temp less than 40f,car has not been started for several hours,otherwise it acts normally).
    I thought it could only be done from below,your post helps inspire me to take another look this spring,see if I can do it.

Bmw540san

Yes | No

Mine also started doing it only when it's cold. It's actually my wife's car so I didn't want to take any chance. I highly respect Bentley Manual but in this case they were wrong stating it that starter only comes out from the bottom. IMO doing everything from top is easier and faster. You can do it just be very patient and drive your car onto ramps. It's easier on your back and you can try from bottom if you have to.

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

All done from the top on mine except for the upper bolt, which I found easier to access from below with a really long socket extension and flex adapter. You can really swing the ratchet handle down below. Don't forget to transfer the dowel pin to the new starter. Mine came out with the old starter. I also replaced a failed Magnetti Marelli with a rebuilt Bosch unit.
    '97 528i Montreal Blu./Grey
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Registered Member
    Member No: 79322 githinjis is an unknown quantity at this point githinjis's Avatar

Yes | No

Could you guys please expound on the symptoms?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Could you guys please expound on the symptoms?

What mine does sometimes is when you start it,it makes a "grinding" sound for a second or so,sounds as if the starter does not completely disengage after the engine starts. It does this when cold,at ambient temps generally colder than 40f but only on a cold engine (not started in several hours). If it is started on a warm engine it never does it,also it will not do it during the warm months,it is definately a cold weather problem.Even in the cold though it does not always do it and sometimes it sounds more severe than others.

Registered Member
    Member No: 79322 githinjis is an unknown quantity at this point githinjis's Avatar

Yes | No

Oh my gosh, that's exactly what my car does under exactly similar circumstances (1997 528ia 136k miles)! It's been happening last 2-3 years. Have to fix it very soon.

Thanks for the information.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Mine has been doing it since 2005 at least (I bought it Aug/05 and did not start happening until latter in the year when the winter came),but it could have been happening even earlier with the previous owner. I do not know about the need for urgency in repairing this,but there is a possibility that it may damage the flywheel teeth. I will probably take a closer look at it when the weather warms up (ofcourse then it will not be acting up and it will be out of mind,out of sight).

User Level 1
    Member No: 199409 srvthsdk is an unknown quantity at this point srvthsdk's Avatar

Yes | No

this thread helped.....

ty for the help///jus waan add,,,if u dont have the female torx tool....a 12 point box end wrench will also work,,,,
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 71.14.19.107

User Level 1
    Member No: 199409 srvthsdk is an unknown quantity at this point srvthsdk's Avatar

Yes | No

this thread helped.....

ty for the help///jus wanna add,,,if u dont have the female torx tool....a 12 point box end wrench will also work,,,,
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 71.14.19.107

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information