+ Reply to Thread
    Mike in NJ

Yes | No

Thread Chaser vs Tap

What's the difference between the two?
    Not just different names for the same thing?
    Can I use my taps as thread chasers for cleaning out a hole (like, say, manifold stud holes, cleaning 'em out for new studs/loctite)?

Registered Member
    Member No: 32247 schmorge is an unknown quantity at this point schmorge's Avatar

Yes | No

Taps will actually "cut" or re-cut the threads. A >

chaser is a milder approach and does more of a thorough cleaning.

This has always been my understanding

Geo.

bnpoliakoff

Yes | No

Re: Thread Chaser vs Tap

A tap is what you should use when you have a choice, as it is exactly to size. A thread chaser is along the principals of a file. In fact, many thread chasers resemble a file. A thread chaser has the teeth in it manufactured to a specific thread pitch. Therefore if you have a bolt with a buggered thread on it, but do not have an appropriate size die to clean it with, you would use a thread chaser with the appropriate teeth in it. You would then draw it around the threads and clean them up or restore them. The thread chaser is pitch specific but not size specific. Usually you buy these as a set of three- five pieces. These can be bought for internal thread chasing like on a nut or in a hole also

Mike in NJ

Yes | No

Re: Taps will actually cut or re-cut the threads. A >

That's kind of what I thought, that a chaser would be sort of a dull tap, so you clean the threads out, but don't cut.

Can a tap just be used carefully, or bad idea?

bnpoliakoff

Yes | No

I don't understand what you are getting at. A tap is exactly to size, so it should restore the threads to where they should be. If the threads are very worn, maybe you can save them, to some degree with a chaser, but in my experience of restoring my car, the only time I used a chaser was when I did not have the appropriate tap or die. If the threads are totally worn, you will either have to heli coil it to get to original size, or tap to the next oversize

Mike in NJ

Yes | No

No, no thread damage. Was just trying to clean them out for fresh loctite in a tight location (head in the car). Had read that the "right" way to clean out threads properly (of old loctite, grease, dirt) was with a thread chaser. In looking up thread chasers, I find things that look just like taps. I assumed the difference between a chaser and a tap was that they would not cut like a tap.

Registered Member
    Member No: 30851 romney88635 is an unknown quantity at this point romney88635's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Thread Chaser vs Tap

To gloss over the subject studs are usually designed with different fits so that they stay in the part and don't come away with the nut. This can be done on the stud, or in the hole, but you should know what you're looking for before you run a tap into it. Here is a basic look at tap tolerances...
    http://www.natool.com/engdata/data10.php
    To use a tap for clean out I would be sure the fit is loose enough to take out only crud without enlarging the thread.
    Chasers are really just form files.. handy for cleaning up buggered threads. This doesn't sound like your problem.

I think my recommendation for just cleaning would be to visit your local gun shop and get a couple brass or bronze bore cleaning brushes in .32 or .38 cal.
    Pacific Sharkfest '02 '03 '05 Veteran
    Original Owner

bnpoliakoff

Yes | No

If the hole is to size, the only thing that will be cut is any deposits of crap or loctite in the hole. Again, remember a tap is exactly to size so the only way you could do damage is to thread it in the hole crooked

Registered Member
    Member No: 32385 rpacher is an unknown quantity at this point rpacher's Avatar

Yes | No

If there is no thread damage I would just use some solvent, a small bottle brush and blast of compressed air to remove dirt, oil and locking compound residue.

For what it's worth, I've always just used a tap to chase threads that are slightly buggered up

My 0.02

Registered Member
    Member No: 30851 romney88635 is an unknown quantity at this point romney88635's Avatar

Yes | No

They both cut...

If you're into quick and dirty, Dremmel a slot into the nut end of one of the old studs... (sharp is good, burrs are bad.. :)) Flush with WD-40 and have at it.
    Original Owner

Registered Member

Yes | No

the only way...

I should have saved a couple first year apprentices for you.. Some of these guys could screw up corn flakes.
    Original Owner

Registered Member

Yes | No

Worth more than 0.02, Ron. :)

Original Owner

bnpoliakoff

Yes | No

Sounds like my EX!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information