+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 107478 rs422a is an unknown quantity at this point rs422a's Avatar

Yes | No

Here we go again. Fuel leak revisited

Well it's been a year since I installed new injectors (factory) and pulled the intake off and refurbed. I installed new cold start injector, new fuel line, factory clamps, etc. Everything has been perking right along until yesterday. As I was backing out I found a dinner plate size puddle of raw fuel on concrete. I was in a hurry so I changed cars and last night tried to find the leak. Everything was dry. Tried it again this morning and everything is dry. I especially felt around the CS injector but inspected everything. No leak.

Any suggestions?

1987 535i at 224K.

Registered Member
    Member No: 160597 John_in_NoVA is an unknown quantity at this point John_in_NoVA's Avatar

Yes | No

If you see fuel pouring down the left / driver's >

side of the block it is probably the CSV or its hose leaking. I know it's frustrating, as I went through 3 Bosch CSVs in a year. My mechanic says they're all junk, as the metal & plastic parts can separate or crack. You also might make the hose a bit longer, if you are using the old one as a pattern.
    Check for more info by performing a search over at m y e 2 8 dot c o m.

Ray7er6ers5er3er

Yes | No

Re tighten all hose clamps...especially the CSV

not too tight...just a 'smidgen' extra.

Registered Member
    Member No: 163215 bmwknowitall is an unknown quantity at this point bmwknowitall's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Here we go again. Fuel leak revisited

On some 5's the fuel lines are routed up into the area where the heat blower and whindshield motors are. They do this when you have the A/C fuel line cooler option. Its possible your leak is behind the heat blower and whindshield motor access pannel. You may not be able to smell the leak when your driving because fuel pressure actually goes up for awhile after you shut off the car and then goes down. There really is very little places for the fuel system to leak under the hood its as simple as tracing the lines from the solid line to flex line connection under the brake booster (in that area)

you didn't say where you saw the leak and how it coninsided as to the general location of the leak (front/middle/rear of the car) If it was in the rear did you JUST fill up with gas? Maybe the pick up pump seal or fuel gauge seal is bad? Evap lines cracked or rotten? Fuel lines in the rear area bad?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information