+ Reply to Thread
    Greg

Yes | No

Audio Upgrades

Looking to upgrade the speaker system in my 87 E28. Any known (tested) reccommendations. I don't want anything over the top, just crisp sound quality. Also, any preferences on running a CD-Changer through the trunk?

Steve: 85 735i, 88 735i, 88 735iL
    Member No: Steve: 85 735i, 88 735i, 88 735iL's Avatar

Yes | No

I can't help on the speakers (though

archives might). I installed the factory KEZBM83 head from an 88 ish e32 plus the CDX changer in my 85 735. I also installed the premium speakers from another car (e23). If you can find the blue ended CD data cable, that's the easiest route. Or find a CDXM30 with it's cable and install that.

The sound is pretty good, but I see a speaker upgrade in my future.

Do you have a factory head setup in mind or aftermarket? That would open a lot of choices on the changer also. Plus the head specs plus any amp changes may dictate what speakers you want to use.

Registered Member
    Member No: 130118 richardodn is an unknown quantity at this point richardodn's Avatar

Yes | No

Head unit option

For an after-market head unit, take a look at Clarion's DXZ785USB (2008) or the DXZ775USB (2007). I have the 775 in my E30 and my biggest complaint is that it sticks out from the dash too far. I think it would look better in the E28 dash which is slightly inset. Display color can match the BMW amber color quite nicely and it isn't terribly garish. The biggest difference between these 2 units is the 785 does direct iPod control.

It also has a USB input which you can use with USB drives and audio files. With a 2G stick I can put 15-20 CDs ripped to high bitrate mp3. That will make you completely rethink a CD changer. The USB input is on a cable out the back for installation flexibility. I modified a switch hole blank and attached the cable to that. The fader switch location would be a perfect place to do that on an E28.

It has 18Wx4 RMS which is plenty to drive the factory premium sound speakers. If you later decide to add more bells and whistles like amps and such to your setup it's ready for them all.

List price is $400, crutchfield.com has it for $300 (manufacturer warranty) and onlinecarstereo.com for $250 (vendor warranty).
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Richard O.
    1986 528e
    1989 325iX
    1998 328iC

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information