+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 57201 aleowuor is an unknown quantity at this point aleowuor's Avatar

Yes | No

Fault Code P1747 and P0600 + Trans Fail Safe

My car started going into Trans Failsafe Mode a coupe of weeks ago. This is accompanied by the RMP gauge suddenly dropping to zero even though the engine is running fine. Temp gauge also swings all the way right. The gauges stay that way for a while then apperently begin to function again. This occurence is has gotten more frequent and now includes the trans going into limp mode.

I scanned the fault codes and found
    P1747 - Manufacturer specific
    P0600 - Serial Communication Link Manlfunction

I searched and found two possible descriptions for P1747:
    1. CAN Bus Monitoring
    2. Pressure Control Solenoid "A" Short Circuit

Can anyone confirm which one it is. I plan on fixing this myself and
    would appreciate any help you guys could provide. Is the pressure control solenoid something that I can replace myself?

I searched through previous posts but was unable to find anyone who reported back to confirm which suggested solution actually worked. Some threads suggest replacing the battery and others suggest calling Kirt (Trans Expert). Load tests on my battery showed that it's good. This previous post has a suggestion that I will try tonight. Any other information would be apprecisted as well.

Aleki - 2000 740iL
    My Cardomain Website

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

There are a group of solenoids on the valve body

inside of the transmission. Give Kirt a call at 800-624-3876.

Registered Member
    Member No: 57201 aleowuor is an unknown quantity at this point aleowuor's Avatar

Yes | No

ABS Computer could be the culprit

Hi everyone,
    Prior to the problems I mentioned in my previous post my ABS and Brake lights came on and my speedo stopped working.

Earlier this afternoon I removed my ABS computer in preparation to ship it out to get rebuilt and to my suprise, with the ABS computer out of the car, all the other problems went aways.

My transmission is now functioning properly and hasn't gone into fail safe mode again. Prior to removal of the computer it would go into failsafe mode about a minutes after starting up. My Tach and temp gauge have also stopped doing the tango. Hopefully this means that when I get my ABS computer back all these problems should be gone for good ..... and to think I was considering leaving my car by the freeway, with the keys in it.

Aleki - 2000 740iL
    My Cardomain Website

Registered Member
    Member No: 78269 claudio512 is an unknown quantity at this point claudio512's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: ABS Computer could be the culprit

It is very rare the need to rebuilt or replace the ABS control module. If there is a culprit on system would be those sensor on each wheel because the wire insulator cracks due to quality and wire making a short as bare touch each other... the other would be in the engine management system... either ICV [idle control valve] needs to be clean... to tested it must have circular motion movement.... if not, needs to clean. The other culprit in the engine management system would be either or both cam or crankshaft position sensors. Otherwise, the trans fail safe are those electric gremlins due to low voltage battery or bad communication between electronic devices... such those crash in your PC. If need to know... let me know.

"Keep Right, Pass Left. It's the Law."

Unregistered

Yes | No

cam sensors and crank sensors

Mike's 540ia
    Thanks for the insight it has been very helpful for me. I am not to sure if Ishould creplace my cps sensors, but I did test them with an ohmeter. Values are CPS: 28.75 lft and 26.40 kohm on the righ side facing the vehicle. The vanos sensors are at 30ohs relative. What do you think, what is the oem suggested ohms for this vehicle?

[/QUOTE]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 71.76.145.194

atty1225

Yes | No
    hi ihave a2001 x5 which has exactly the same problem as Aleki. How do I remove the ABS module? Is there any fluid running through those metal hoses on the module that would leak when I remove the module Anybody Help Thanks a lot.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 76.103.152.78

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No
    Read post 8.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 66.32.149.111

Registered Member

Yes | No

Fixed by having ABS control module rebuilt

For what it's worth rebuilding the ABS control module resolved the three fault codes (P0500, P0600, P1747), Trans Failsafe and Engine Failsafe messages.

Total cost was was $255 which included the cost of shipping the unit to MA and back to TX. This wass done by BBA Remanufacturing and they have a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps someone else save some money later.
    Aleki - 2000 740iL
    My Cardomain Website

Philip

Yes | No

Re: Fixed by having ABS control module rebuilt

Hey
    Your old problems sound a lot like my current problems.
    I get the same three codes (P1747, P0500, P600). My speedometer goes out, my car goes into failsafe, and the ABS light goes on.
    I'm thinking about using the same BBA remanufacturing service. Is it easy to take out the module? I've looked online and i cant find instructions. Is it just those 6 T25 Torx screws and the wires.
    I have a 2000 740il like you.
    Philip

BigBimmer

Yes | No

modulemaster.com seems to be the current favorite

Folks on other forums have had recent strong praises for modulemaster.com. BBA is a close second. It is very easy to remove-- those 6 Torx screws are it. Just unplug, unscrew, and it will come free.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.152.222.36

damas9963

Yes | No

Re: Fault Code P1747 and P0600 + Trans Fail Safe

I'm having exactly the same problem ( bmw x5 4.4i, 2001)..How did you solve the issue?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information