I am just about to complete the sale of my 1993 M5 and after four E34's M cars over the past several years, I think it's time for a change. I love the look and history of the E28 M5 but, for one reason or another, never wound up with one.

I am curious whether the folks here still consider the E28 a viable platform to get into now. My biggest concern is whether the model is too outdated at this point to be considered seriously for anything more than a nice Sunday driver. Going from E34 to E28 is definitely a step backwards and I don't know whether reduced performance, comfort or reliability will bother me. I would looking to use this as a fair weather work car and put about 5-7,000 a year on it. It wouldn't be my only car, but I would need to be able to drive reasonable distances and ferry business clients without issue. Sounds like a stupid concern to have about a legendary supercar, but hey it's 20 years old now.

The majority of the E28's I see for sale at this point seem pretty ragged. I am well aware of the need for proper maint and the risks and costs associated with buying a car that has not been well maintained. And cosmetically, the tan interior's tend to look real tired. I have always made it a point to buy cars with black interiors as they tend to age better. I know there are a handful of E28's with black interiors out there. (I looked at one in NJ years ago...I think it was a guy named Rosario. Not sure if he still has it.) I don't want to get into a car that looks or feels old and tired.

How are the E28's to work on relative to the E34's? I am a DIY guy of average mechanical ability. I would hope that the E28 is easier to work on based on the fact it is a less complex car. What about part's availability? I am the [Oops!] type that replaced the underhood insulation on my last M5 because it had a hole in it and it would bug me if there were things I was "just going to have to live with".

I will have some money burning a hole in my pocket soon so I figured I would begin here with some due diligence. I am leaning towards looking for a bone stock, low mileage E36 M3 but there is a voice inside me beckoning me to go "old school" rather than join the legion of boy racer types.

Sorry for the long rant. Any random thoughts or opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Jay