+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 46758 roadbuggy is an unknown quantity at this point roadbuggy's Avatar

Yes | No

Koni sport install experience and questions

I installed front and rear Koni sport adjustables over the weekend.
    I have 68K now on the car, and when I removed the original shocks and stuts they were nearly dead, with little to no rebound left in them.

Wow! It's really cool to take 5 minutes and crank on the top of the shocks / struts to go from a soft ride to a firm ride. I went with the special top adjustable TC Kline rear koni sport shocks. Very accessable with the convertible and worth the extra money to not have to remove rear shock to adjust.

I have a couple of questions for those who have installed these before:
    1. The rear shock shaft is a larger diameter than the original, and the overall length of the original extended shock is longer. I ended up going with the foam rubber "rebound/buffer" and protection tube included with the Koni's, instead of the stock setup. The stock rebound buffer is about 3 inches longer, should I have used the stock setup instead? I thought at the time since the koni shock is overall shorter, the shorter rebound buffer should be used, but once the car is on the ground that obviously doesn't make a difference. Comments on using the stock rebound setup? I might take them back out to replace with stock buffer setup.

2. The top of the front strut is slightly inaccessable once installed. I was able to adust the koni's with needle nose pliers, but now I think I'll cut a small 1/4" cresent shape out of the strut reinforcement plate (not the tower) that's in the way to allow the Koni tool to fit in. Anyone have other tips on this?

3. During strut install, how do folks torque the top strut nut with the shaft twisting? I released some spring pressure and that held it pretty well. I couldn't use the BMW nut, because it wouldn't go past the top nutlock. I used the lock washer and nut supplied with the Koni's since I could at least screw the nut all the way down and get the lock washer to close. I was figuring on final torque in the car, but that nut is not fully accessable as noted above. I think its fine, but just wondering if anyone has any tricks for this.

Overall the procedure is pretty straight forward. I also took the opportunity to change sway bar bushings and links, and fix the power steering hose leak at the tank and flush/replace the fluid. I finished at 11 pm Sunday night, bummer working outside at night needing the car to take the kids to school the next morning! Feels great now though! Buggy
    '99 M3 Convertible
    '67 2000 CS

Registered Member
    Member No: 49533 95DayVI is an unknown quantity at this point 95DayVI's Avatar

Yes | No

you can try rubber band wrenches for 3

_______
    GC RTAB shims, RSMs, T/S Coilover with Koni DA f/SA R & 450#f/550#r Eibach ERS
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    Sunbelt CAMS w chip for 24# injectors, Euro MAF, Conforti/ITG CAI
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    Euro fLoAtErS, Ferodo DS2500
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    All done in my garage

corkscrew:Laguna Seca

Registered Member
    Member No: 97307 shipdriver is an unknown quantity at this point shipdriver's Avatar

Yes | No

Mark, that is strange regarding the accessibility

of the front struts. Did you do them one at a time or together? If you did them together, there may be a possibility that you swapped strut mounts inadvertantly. 95 doesn't differentiate between left and right, but 96 - 99 had left and right mounts...If you swapped them, I think they will still bolt up, but the geometry will be wrong.

Hope not though... Best Regards, Mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 46758 roadbuggy is an unknown quantity at this point roadbuggy's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a '99, left and right are correct

assuming that left is drivers side. I didn't check which direction the arrow points when I took them off. My install has the arrow pointing to the front. Is that correct?
    thanks,
    MarkBuggy
    '99 M3 Convertible
    '67 2000 CS

Registered Member
    Member No: 97307 shipdriver is an unknown quantity at this point shipdriver's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, arrows point forward. That said,

Swapping the front strut mounts (96-99) used to be a little trick to increase negative camber...I thought that might be your problem.

Hmmm...????

Registered Member

Yes | No

I guess itHere's a pic of the top of the strut

Buggy
    '99 M3 Convertible
    '67 2000 CS

Registered Member

Yes | No

fat fingers, anyway...

the link in the previous post does work to show where my strut top ended up. As can see, just a slight removal of the reinforcement plate will allow the Koni tool to seat. I assume the location is the same as other's M3's. This is a convertible, so mabey that has something to do with it.

Thanks for your comments!

Mark

Mabey this works, I'm using tinypic for the first time in a while.

Buggy
    '99 M3 Convertible
    '67 2000 CS

Registered Member

Yes | No

Wow, that's alot of caster you've got there...

I just measured my 95 coupe...I have a full 3/4" from the center of the strut to the inside edge at the back. I reckon its supposed to be that way...it looks as if everything is mounted correctly. I would stick to the needle nose pliers, vice grinding away the tower...

Have fun. Best Regards, Mike

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks I'm sure its

put together right. Must be a convertible thing. I'll just have to find a girl driving an m3 vert and ask to see her struts....(cymbal crash)

It sure feels good to drive, I'm off to get it aligned now.

Thanks for all your replies Mike!

Best regards,
    Mark

Buggy
    '99 M3 Convertible
    '67 2000 CS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information