+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 146031 chefrt is an unknown quantity at this point chefrt's Avatar

Yes | No

BMW X5 steering wheel interface

i have a question that i have not found an answer for. just bought a 2002 X5 6 month ago, it is the 3.0 l with the premium package, i was not satisfied witht he sound so i upgraded using bavarian sound works to a really good system, did not like the stock radio with business cd player, so changed it for the clarion max650 tv/dvd/navigation.
    problem i am having is that the steering interface works on 5v and i have lost all audio controls on the steering wheel, and i cant seem to find an aftermarket interface which would work ont he 5v interface
    anyone of you has any advice or comments on to what i can use or where i can find an interface which will work?
    thankyou very much

Registered Member
    Member No: 106860 Zulu95 is an unknown quantity at this point Zulu95's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: BMW X5 steering wheel interface

The controls work via the I-Bus. I think Parrot (SP?) make an interface.
    Do a web search.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Unfortunately the parrot interface does not work with an after market radio and it is only for hands free cell phones from what i was told by their customer support, so still searching, would really appreciate if anyone has any ideas onhow i can do it.
    thank you

Registered Member

Yes | No

finally found a place in UK who makes the interface for direct plug and play, only problem is they do not ship outside UK. if anyone has a contact in uk where i can ship it to and ten from uk send them a paypal money order for them to ship it to me, it would be very much appreciated.
    thank you
    btw the company is connects2.com

Late Info

Yes | No

Sounds like the whole issue / original question got confused.

For the factory buttons to a bluetooth phone kit, try:
    caughtbluehanded.com, for the parrot interface for the bmw

For the buttons to the Clarion, do a search for PAC Audio:
    PAC audio's PAC SWI-X or universal interfaces, they have a model for Clarion.

Good luck!

Wrighty

Yes | No

Just 55 reg bought X5 3.0 diesel and the steering wheel plastic has worn to show the white plastic beneath.

Is it possible to buy the plastic component and replace? Or does anyone know of any business that will refurb my wheel? Or do I need to go to BMW and pay the cost of a new Z4 to have the wheel replaced?

Thanks for any help.

Wrighty.

Registered Member
    Member No: 37503 robertplattbell is an unknown quantity at this point robertplattbell's Avatar

Yes | No

check realoem.com

I would first check realeom.com for the part number and they try to order it from ECS tuning or pelican. If the parts are cheap enough, I'd just replace them.

The plastic interior trim bits on the X5 are coated with a dull paint. So the silver door handles are shiny silver plastic, coated with dull (matte finish) silver paint. The surrounds on the steering wheel are glossy black plastic (on my car) covered with flat (matte finish) black paint.

I guess I was lucky in that mine were black. I was cleaning the wheel with an alcohol wipe (bad idea) and all the paint started peeling off in sheets. I was appalled. The only solution at that point was to keep going until all the paint came off. Now the wheel surrounds are shiny plastic. Not many people would notice.

If your's are white underneath, I would suggest that you remove the plastic surrounds and carefully paint them and re-install them.

The resale on my X5 is about 10 grand. Keeping it running on a budget is the key, at this point.

Registered Member
    Member No: 6805 hlgilbert is an unknown quantity at this point hlgilbert's Avatar

Yes | No

What part is now white?

Just curious. The wheel itself or the top part, cover thing?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information