+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

MVP

Yes | No

how to spend my tax refund

I have an 86 528e with stock 14 inch rims. I've long wanted to upgrade but don't know what size rims to get. I think I want 205's, but I'm undecided on 15 or 16 inch rims. I think 16's would look better but I'm worried that 16's will either rub or affect the feel of my steering. What's you guy's experience?

Milovius

Yes | No

16s are ok as long as the offset is correct

Tire width is another thing to look at but thats driven by the width of the wheel. Search though the old posts and I'm sure you'll find the info you need.

Registered Member
    Member No: 136776 Mark_88_M5 is on a distinguished road Mark_88_M5's Avatar

Yes | No

16 X 7 or 71/2 et 20 with a 205/55 16 tire.

Registered Member
    Member No: 130118 richardodn is an unknown quantity at this point richardodn's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: how to spend my tax refund

Remember that these are all generalizations due to many factors that affect ride and handling.

First of all, you most likely will want to keep the same tire outside diameter so that functions like your speedometer won't change. Now as you increase wheel diameter, you'll decrease the sidewall height resulting in crisper turns at the cost of decreased ride comfort. Tires act as cushions so the less total air volume contained inside the tire the less cushiony it is. Wider tires will give better cornering grip at the cost of a tendency of tram-lining (tendency to follow bumps and ruts in the road). The E28 can handle up to 215 widths comfortably. 225 is possible, but may require fender rolling. My recommendations are:

For a basic improvement in handling without giving up too much in comfort, go with 15x7 et20 and 205/60-15. There are some additional advantages with this. This is a common tire size so your selection should be good. You can try and find a set of 15" E34 wheels. The basketweaves are pretty common but there are other styles available. These will fit perfectly and you can stay with OE wheels. Other options for tire size are 215/55-15 or 225/55-15 but these sizes are hard to find and selection is limited.

For a sportier feel go with 16x7 et20 and 205/55-16 tires. There are a few OE E34 wheels in this size but they aren't common. You'll probably end up with after market wheels. Other options for tire size are 215/55-16 (very common), 215/50-16 (slightly better fit but less common) or 225/50-16 (very common).

One final note, as I said before 225 widths are possible. If you want tires this wide, ask around and search the archives and find some particular combinations that work. I seem to remember a spreadsheet that someone (Shawn?) had built up with tire/wheel combinations.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Richard O.
    1986 528e
    1989 325iX
    1998 328iC

MVP

Yes | No

thanks guys! I'm leaning toward the 16's...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information