+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 128312 wizman007 is an unknown quantity at this point wizman007's Avatar

Yes | No

Anyone ever use the MTF-LT2 tranny fluid from

the dealer. I called mine out of curiosity and they sell in .5 litres to a tune of 15.75 per .5 liter. Ouch!

Additionally, I see most recommendations on the forums that Redline D4 ATF is the fluid of choice. I am currently running this fluid. Anyone know how this recommendation of running ATF in our manual transmissions got started?

The parts guy also speced SAF-XJ 75W-140 for the diff fluid. I guess the E46 M3 weight has been extended to the E36 M3. Ours came with 75W-90 right?

Registered Member
    Member No: 49533 95DayVI is an unknown quantity at this point 95DayVI's Avatar

Yes | No

praise on other forums here

_______
    GC RTAB shims, RSMs, T/S Coilover with Koni DA f/SA R & 450#f/550#r Eibach ERS
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    Sunbelt CAMS w chip for 24# injectors, Euro MAF, Conforti/ITG CAI
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    Euro fLoAtErS, Ferodo DS2500
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    All done in my garage

corkscrew:Laguna Seca

TLK

Yes | No

I've considered it

I've thought about trying it to see if new factory fill makes the box shift any better than with the D4 ATF.

How did we get onto this? Well first off some transmissions had the sticker that said ATF Oil! Most said MTF-LT-1 or something like that. MTF offers better protection for this box, but is too thick for smooth shifting for a lot of BMW boxes, particularly in the cold. Thus D4 ATF is a lower viscosity choice if you cannot run the MTF. Going higher can quiet gear rattle from ltw flywheels, but makes it hard to shift in most of these crappy ZF S5-31 boxes. I don't recommend it.

I thought about trying the LT2 since you can buy it mail order from RM european for what you quoted. It would be a pricey fill, but maybe I wouldn't change it every year like the Redline. I've lost interest now. Probably give the M3 to my wife in a couple months and just stick with the cheaper Redline.

Registered Member
    Member No: 97307 shipdriver is an unknown quantity at this point shipdriver's Avatar

Yes | No

I just ordered Redline MTF for my ATF gearbox...

while many gearboxes have an ATF sticker (i.e., BMW recommended fluid), Mike Miller (Roundel Tech Advisor) does not recommend ATF in any BMW gearbox due to low viscosity, so I will try the MTF for the summer. It gets plenty hot down here in FL, so hard shifting should not be a problem...I hope.

Best Regards, Mike

Registered Member

Yes | No

MTF is da goods, best track fluid vs D4, M1 so far

_______
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    All done in my garage

Registered Member
    Member No: 25723 jsubbi is an unknown quantity at this point jsubbi's Avatar

Yes | No

Just bought some from RM European

I'm currently using RP Synchomax which seemed like an improvement over LT1 with 90k miles, but I thought I'd try the LT2 since I've heard good things. Haven't made the change yet, but I'll report back when I do.

TLK

Yes | No

That's not exactly what he says

Hey Mike,

not criticizing, but I've been over this in emails with him several times and it's been in tech talk a bunch as well...

What he says is that he prefers the MTF. However, for hard shifting boxes or for owner's who can't be trusted to "baby" (that's his word) the cold MTF filled transmission until it warms up to normal operating temp (he lives in PA), he recommends the D4 ATF.

Note that the Redline D4 ATF is not the same as a straight mineral based ATF. It offers much more protection and longevity, than something like a Dexron III ATF, which you should never use in these manual transmissions.

Registered Member

Yes | No

MTL== MTF

_______
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    All done in my garage

TLK

Yes | No

Yes, I meant Redline MTL not MTF

Registered Member

Yes | No

ha I did it too vvv

_______
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    All done in my garage

Registered Member
    Member No: 97307 shipdriver is an unknown quantity at this point shipdriver's Avatar

Yes | No

No worries...roger on the tech talk...I have read

his advice for years...that said, I do want to try the MTL...the D4 has made it this far (125K) so we'll see how the MTL does in the summer in sunny Florida.

FWIW...Mike Miller in this month's issue of Tech Talk says on a rebuilt box...BMW LT2 or Redline MTL...in his words "absolutely not ATF."

Best Regards. Mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 128312 wizman007 is an unknown quantity at this point wizman007's Avatar

Yes | No

Do you think BMW MTF > Redline MTL ?

Registered Member
    Member No: 16975 PShovest is an unknown quantity at this point PShovest's Avatar

Yes | No

If you've got the ZF trans.......

then the recommendation/approval to use ATF came from directly from ZF. It's spelled out in their parts manual. I use the Mobil 1 Dexron III/IV/V/Mercon. Shifts have never been smoother.

Paul S.
    BMW CCA 69606

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information