+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 38506 m3ocd is an unknown quantity at this point m3ocd's Avatar

Yes | No

Tranny problem after cooling system overhaul

Hi Everyone,
    I have searched the forums but haven't found another case of this problem. This is a '95 Auto M3. I raised the front of the car and put it on jackstands and removed the cooling components. Had to wait for the correct water pump(metal impeller) to arrive. Also had to go out of town so the car sat for a week until I could finish up the job. Refilled system and started car and immediately got a "Check Engine" and the "Transmission Problem" light. The car drove fine except for it wouldn't go into 5th gear. Disconnect battery and wait 30mins. Still got the lights but this time no higher than 3rd gear. Also noticed if I increase RPM to about 1500 rpm, the engine cuts out and rebounds repeatedly? None of this ever occured before this cooling system overhaul. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

M3ocd

Registered Member
    Member No: 106620 M3ed is a splendid one to behold M3ed is a splendid one to behold M3ed is a splendid one to behold M3ed is a splendid one to behold M3ed is a splendid one to behold M3ed is a splendid one to behold M3ed is a splendid one to behold M3ed's Avatar

Yes | No

I'm guessing that there is a trans line that runs

to the radiator. I have no idea if it has a separate trans cooler. Check the trans fluid. If the car sat with no radiator it probably leaked out.

Registered Member
    Member No: 49533 95DayVI is an unknown quantity at this point 95DayVI's Avatar

Yes | No

on a 96 328 there is a transmission oil cooler

affixed to the radiator and separable ... You can't miss it. It is plumbed separate. Look at realoem.com to verify it is the same for your car._______
    GC RTAB shims, RSMs, T/S Coilover with Koni DA f/SA R & 450#f/550#r Eibach ERS
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    Sunbelt CAMS w chip for 24# injectors, Euro MAF, Conforti/ITG CAI
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    Euro fLoAtErS, Ferodo DS2500
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    All done in my garage

corkscrew:Laguna Seca

and some other ideas too - TLK
    Member No: and some other ideas too - TLK's Avatar

Yes | No

Check all cable connections to transmission

This kind of transmission has a control unit also located in the same rack as the engine ECU. If the connectors or loose it might be wacky.

Check engine may be automatically turned on with the tranny fault, but if you knew the code(s) you could see if it is separate. If separate, and both units are acting wierd, one would begin to suspect that water got into the ECU area and flooded the controllers, or rodents are chewing at your wiring. You didn't say where you left the car parked and if those were possibilities, but it does happen.

The '95 diagrams also show a separate oil cooler for the auto tranny. Since it cools oil, and not engine coolant, it should be unaffected by your engine cooling system work. Assuming you accidentally openned the tranny oil cooler system, you would have a big oil mess on the ground under your car and the level would have dropped (use the dipstick to check the level). Another possibility is that you just don't have enough oil in the transmission, which again you can check using the dipstick.

Registered Member
    Member No: 38506 m3ocd is an unknown quantity at this point m3ocd's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks guys ---> Problem fixed

Hey guys thanks for the ideas. I just got back from a test drive and I must say that it was my own dumb@$$ fault. I had removed an electrical connector from the throttle body while trying to gain access to the heater valve and I neglected to reconnect it. The connector had fallen under the intake and was not easily seen. Reconnected it and all fault lights went out and the trans shifts smoothly now. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Best regards,

M3ocd

Registered Member
    Member No: 49533 95DayVI is an unknown quantity at this point 95DayVI's Avatar

Yes | No

good find! altho you made it___:)___

_______
    GC RTAB shims, RSMs, T/S Coilover with Koni DA f/SA R & 450#f/550#r Eibach ERS
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    Sunbelt CAMS w chip for 24# injectors, Euro MAF, Conforti/ITG CAI
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    Euro fLoAtErS, Ferodo DS2500
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    All done in my garage

corkscrew:Laguna Seca

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information