+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 48328 ches43 is an unknown quantity at this point ches43's Avatar

Yes | No

Check Engine - OBDII code P0456?

Yesterday my check engine light came on. I checked the Code and it was P0456 - with description: "Evaporative Emission System small leak detected". I reset the system and today drove maybe 50 miles - light came again and code is the same. I inspected fuel cap - looks OK but I went and flipped over the gasket - seal "feels " now much tighter when screwing it on. Will see if this helps. Anybody had that code before and was able to find the problem? I searched web and looks like that this is not a gas cap which usually triggers large leak. Some found a problem with hoses around the charcoal canister leaking... Where is that charcoal canister or other evap components located?

ches

Yes | No

Re: Check Engine - OBDII code P0456?

FYI if anybody cares.
    Making better seal on gas cap seemed to help - CE light has not returned yet. Will watch it and next time I visit dealer I will buy the new gas cap - what the heck only $23 (must be the cheapest part in BMW parts dept) And I found the rest of the components - charcoal canister, pump and others are in rear - driver site wheel well - behind the trim.

Registered Member
    Member No: 169439 miller4264 is an unknown quantity at this point miller4264's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for posting the code; I have had mine in for the CES light 3 times and paid $500 for a "diagnostic" panel "A" (apparently the "B" panel of diagnostic costs more!) and NONE of the BMW "techies" can find out a solution. Drove the darn car back home, one week later, the CES light is on AGAIN!

Took it on a trip about 600 miles and no other problems, but always wondering why they can't find it. Gas and cap issues or tightnening not yet tried but after reading this sight might try. Is this just one of those wierd glitches that happens? I had something like that with a 99 LExus and ultimately--only after I researched it myself on the Forum site--did a MAF sensor replacement fix it.

Hopefully, knowing this code might help the technical staff making $195 per hour who need that much dough to "diagnose".

Ches

Yes | No

Not sure if this will make you feel better but my saga continues. After changing gas cap, evap pump (as thye say was not operation) and evap valve (this was a blind shot as it could be getting stuck) still getting Check Engine light and dashboard message Check Gas Cap very soon after I take it out from the shop. Mechanic now reads large leaks and when they pressurize the system - it shows no leaks whatsoever. Not sure what else is left except maybe computer which reads that? Taking car back to mechanic on Monday for another session. Will let you know if we fix it.....

Ches

Yes | No

After 4 hours of labor this time, small leak was detected and I want to believe that problem was found.
    At the place where metal gas filling tube connects to plastic tube ( under the wheel well cover) there is a rubber ring sealing that connection. That ring was crushed around 20% of its perimeter (likely original installation issue) and slowly deteriorated causing leak. Since it was behind the charcoal canister, smog used in pump for leak detection (according to mechanic) was filtered out and hard to detect so he used his sense of smell to trace it...

Registered Member
    Member No: 110255 Conundrum is an unknown quantity at this point Conundrum's Avatar

Yes | No

Do you get to the evaporative emissions lines through the wheel well or from the interior of the vehicle?

Unregistered

Yes | No

Dereks Mini couper

same code appeared and re- appeared. i used the canobd2 reader and erraced the code p0456. i dont want to see the code again but i canot find more information other then the silly evaprotave control small leak. i have limited expirience in automotive. but it would help to know if this was a vacume leak in a controler valve or a sencer reading the rong pressure in a ruturn line i want too understand the problem before i ask for a solution. information for mini and bmw comes at an extra cost for can obd2 and i dont trust something that is so cheap to just give me the right andswer. i would prefer to consult snap on versa a professional diagnosing tool but that is well out of my afordability. hence i am looking for a website that will provide me with any service technishion bullitons or location diagrams to help me understand this code. not paying a substricption to get a dead end result would be also
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 68.149.143.222

paul9422

Yes | No

I have a subaru - same problem

Same problem. Check engine light is on. Had it checked and it indicates PO456, Emission system very small leak.
    It may be coincidental, but I have noticed a slight smell of gasoline when I get out of my car after parking. After reading a few of the comments in this string, there may be a connection. Will check fuel lines, charcoal cannister, filter, etc.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.27.192.6

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information