+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 128042 lsimon is an unknown quantity at this point lsimon's Avatar

Yes | No

Navigation Disk Updates - Almost!

Well I got some targeted junk mail from Navteq & Jaguar today advertising availability of the new 2008 version of the Jaguar Navigation map update DVD available for $199. I was pretty excited until I noticed the only XK model listed was the 2007. Same info on their web site www.navigation.com/jaguarmap08. Tried calling their info number but gave up after holding for 10 minuites figuring it wouldn't do any good anyways.

They listed updated available for:
    x-type 2002-2007
    s-type 2003-2007
    xj 2004-2007
    XK 2007

But nothing to help my '03 XKR convertible. I can't figure out why I got the mailed advertisement for this as they must have gotten my name off the Jaguar database or such. I figure they just wanted to tease me a bit just after I've finally given up any hope of getting updated map info for my nav system. Gee, if I'd asked my salesmen, or a Jag executive back in 2003 if there would be regular updated for their nav system I wonder what they would have said?

If anyone has any info on something being available I don't know about, then let me know, otherwise just consider this a frustrated rant. I shouldn't complain much, at least spring is beginning here in Chicago area and it will soon be time to put the top down and take the CAT out for some rides after a long sleepy winter.

Registered Member
    Member No: 159880 alwann is an unknown quantity at this point alwann's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Navigation Disk Updates - Almost!

I wonder what would happen if a bunch of us sent emails or letters to Navteq stating that there is a market for updated data disks. Every time I've asked them, the response is that Jag no longer supports this model (XK8 2000-2004). I'd bet there is an after-market opportuity for them, or somebody, unless Jag has imposed some kind of copyright restrictions.

newkid xk8

Yes | No

I was looking at my corporate Jaguar emails last month and one mentioned those new disc and also mentioned that they were no longer updating pre 07 XK8 nor pre 03 S-Types.Just my luck ,my city is not even on my 03 disc (empty screen).

Andre,
    03 XK8

Registered Member
    Member No: 141670 frankjw is an unknown quantity at this point frankjw's Avatar

Yes | No

I tried with Alpine, NavTeq and Jaguar and struck out all three times. The worst is that I have a 2006 XKR and I wanted an update. I then found out that the newest update was 2004!!!!!! That means that my maps were out of date even before I bought the car. This is exactly why Jag is in the financial mess it is in. I can buy a $15,000 econo car and get bluetooth and lifetime nav updates yet my $98,000 2006 XKR has bluetooth for an additional $1,5000 option and it is severly limited and an outdated poor nav system with old maps that will never be updated.

Wake up jaguar!!! Ford probably shouldn't have left you alone after all. At least you would have had a decent NAV system and a workable bluetooth option that supports any number of phones. Heck Jag, you should have had the Sync system from the start.

I just can't believe my car is still under factory warranty but the NAV system grows more useless every day.

XK808

Yes | No

The Nav system makes a great clock :)

seismicguy

Yes | No

Here is a dumb question. The site that was linked has update disks for the XJ (e.g., 2004, 2005, 2006). I would have imagined that the same basic hardware was used in the similar vintage XK8/XKR--am I wrong?

Doug
    Los Angeles, CA

PMCook

Yes | No

They may have used the same DVD drive, but the rest is completely different. The DVD is just a database. The actual computer and software is what determines where you can use it. And all manufacturers do something to ensure you can't swap hardware between car lines even if they are the exact same thing. They'll often use some kind of ROM code that the software checks when you start it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 128042 lsimon is an unknown quantity at this point lsimon's Avatar

Yes | No

I recently bought a newer Garmin 255WT - one of their middle of the line models, for just over $150. It works fantastic and even better than my older Garmin.

The newer one has a wide screen and the whole unit is is just about the same size as the screen on the Jag. If I wasn't so interested in maintaining the beautiful appearance of my XKR's interior I'd have someone pull out the Nav system from behind the dash and install some sort of mount and power supply in that area. To think how incredible the map and database of these units are when the whole thing only runs $150 - and the nicer version that runs a little over $100 more is supposed to work even better and has bluetooth installed.

I'd love to hear of some ambitious, and more mechanically talented person than I, work out a nice neat system for doing this. Even better if it were to hook up somehow with the Jag's audio system taking the place of the audio input from the factory NAv system.

Gabriel

Yes | No

replacing with touch screen

That's the best idea I've heard so far. There are so many different modern touch sreen navi units out there I bet a couple would fit in that space. I know some of the nicer ones that also have bluetooth, sat radio, ipod hockup, and voice control. The dash on our our cars comes out pretty easily, so it shouldn't be that hard to do.

A X Type owner on the X Type page did something like this and it looked great.

gerry

Yes | No

Re: replacing with touch screen

check out this link....Let me know if anyone has any sucess
    http://www.designxkr.co.uk/incar_entertainment.htm

PMCook

Yes | No

Interesting, but those pictures are all Photoshopped. How did they fill in the left and right button control openings with perfectly matched wood grain? Since the whole panel is book end grain matched with the other piecesm, they did not recover and refinish the panel.

seismicguy

Yes | No

Anyone know that DesignXKR charges for that system?

Doug

Registered Member
    Member No: 157235 designxkr is an unknown quantity at this point designxkr's Avatar

Yes | No

Just noticed this thread and felt we should respond.

It is incorrect to say we did not recover and refinish the panel. As part of the upgrade we reveneer the centre panel to match the panels either side. The panels either side are used to get the best match possible. The company we use to reveneer the panel have huge quantites of veneer in stock and to date the matches have been spot on.

The system costs 2000+vat.

Our website is currently being updated and the new site will show pictures of some of the systems we have installed including one in a carbon dash.

Registered Member
    Member No: 144969 LuxXKR is an unknown quantity at this point LuxXKR's Avatar

Yes | No

Guys. I have a 2000 XKR, the disks did not show the street I live on or half my route to work. I have replaced it now with a Garmin, works perfect and looks standard, if you did not know you would have to look very close to see the join. its a couple of hours work and costs less than 300 all done, anybody with a steady hand can do it.
    I posted the instructions because so many people were looking at how to do the same job. ignore the fingerprints on the touch screen, I have a 9 yr old who thinks its cool to play with it. also I suggest deleting the shopping trolley from the Garmin database if you have smarta*s kids... :)

John H

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

Great post and great looking after installation. We've just run into this problem as we purchased a 2000 XK8 in Oct. 2009. It's a really cheap and not too labor intensive process, whilst keeping the stock appearance.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information