+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 121397 drewk989902 is an unknown quantity at this point drewk989902's Avatar

Yes | No

e39 540 i sport vs e28 M5

Mates-

I am going to ask a stupid question. What is the difference between a 540i and an M5 - I have the 540 and I have a 535is ....sitting in the driveway with a blown head gasket. I dream of the e28 M5...would you say its faster? would you say it's a better all around drive? What would you say about it that would sway me from the 540i????

Registered Member
    Member No: 132777 TedM5 is an unknown quantity at this point TedM5's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: really a personal choice

I have both, and the 540(sport) is my wife's car and the one I drive anytime I'm not alone (i.e. clients, kids, road trips, etc.) They are pretty close in acceleration, and the e39 is really impressive for being super comfortable and quiet and feeling like an expensive ride while still kicking butt. That said, the M5 is way more fun, and FEELS faster and more hardcore in every way, and if I could somehow race myself in both cars on a twisty road, I would probably end up with the 540 in a ditch because it just doesn't have the road feel and ultra-stickiness that my (lowered, chipped, coil-overed) M5 has. I love both cars but I only really love DRIVING the M5.

THD

Yes | No

There is no substitute for cubic inches.

The 540 is the better daily driver. The V8 puts out more HP and Torque and will last a lot longer than the S38 in the M5.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information