+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

statman

Yes | No

Need advice ...

Hey guys,

My '87 535i (daily driver) needs a new master cylinder, axles, and summer tires. The car has roughly 350k on the body/tranny/etc., and about 150k on the present motor. My mechanic suggests that I move on to a new vehicle. I agreed, though it took me a few days.

Anyway, my problem is that I'm not sure what to do with the car? I don't have time to part it out or anything.

Thanks in advance.

statman

Yes | No

Re: Need advice ...

Whoops, should point out that the mileage I stated is in thousands of kilometers, not miles.

Matt Hernandez

Yes | No

it all depends on how much you like the car

the master is fairly easy to replace, good axles can be bought used on the cheap or you can regrease them and put new boots on, tires are a no brainer.
    Not sure of your own mechanical ability, but working on the car yourself is one of the most rewarding parts of owning the car.

If you have already made up your mind, you can post the car for sale on mye28.com with a detailed description of what has been done, what needs to be done, and the current condition of the car. If you arent a member you need to register there.

There is also the roadfly classifieds which are free as well.

statman

Yes | No

Re: it all depends on how much you like the car

Yeah ok ... I think I will fix it myself. I ordered the master cylinder today. The axles I don't know about. My mechanic said that the boots were torn and letting sand and stuff inside. Should I be replacing the whole axle or what?

Registered Member
    Member No: 130118 richardodn is an unknown quantity at this point richardodn's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: it all depends on how much you like the car

If they have been open for awhile, I'd find myself a set of good used axles and have them rebooted before putting them on the car. The cost is mostly in the labor.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Richard O.
    1986 528e
    1989 325iX
    1998 328iC

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

You could pull them, clean them up and reboot/

regrease them. I have done that. It is a greasey mess but it just depends on what you are willing to do.

John

Yes | No

Re: Need advice ...

fix it and keep on going, I had one with 330K miles and was less trouble than the one I now have with 1/3 that many miles

a

Yes | No

get some used axles from a 528e.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information