+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 148438 rafael501 is an unknown quantity at this point rafael501's Avatar

Yes | No

The car locked me out with the engine running !!!

Late last night I ran the car through a carwash. When the car came out, the car wash guy pulled it out, and was finishing up some interior dusting.

The key is still in the ignition, the engine is running.

When he was done, he came out, left the driver door open. I took his rag to finish up some exterior details, but closed the door because other cars were exiting the carwash. Little did I know that all door buttons were down. I didn't even think that was possible.

I think when the guy was dusting the dash, he pushed the door lock in the center.

I called BMW Roadside Assistance, they said that they would send me a tow truck to take the car to the dealer who would then unlock the car. But the driver would not load the car with a running engine, so we would have to wait for the gas to run out first. Also, they would 'arrange' a rental for me at my own expense. I didn't like any of this.

Time is now past midnight. So, I had to have my friend drive me home from NY to CT - about an hour of drive. Get the spare key, come back to NY - another hour of drive. All this time the car is standing in the exit driveway of the carwash with the engine running. Luckily for me the 7 idles on low RPM, and even though I had less then an 8th of a tank of gas left, the car did not run out of gas.

QUESTION: Why would the car ALLOW locking the door while the key is in the ignition and the driver door is still open?<br><small>
    '05 BMW 745Li Sport -- Black Sapphire Metallic / Black
    '03 Lexus GX470 -- Sand Dollar Perl / Sand</small>

Registered Member
    Member No: 55671 zlee1 is an unknown quantity at this point zlee1's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: The car locked me out with the engine running

Why couldn't BMW assist open the door for you? It is part of your SOS service. 2008 X5 3.0si, Space Grey/Black, Premium, Winter, Rear Climate, Technology, Sat & Ipod<br><br>

Past Loves
    2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD
    2003 BMW 330xi
    2000 BMW 328i
    1997 BMW 325i
    1985 Nissan 200XS

Registered Member
    Member No: 148438 rafael501 is an unknown quantity at this point rafael501's Avatar

Yes | No

Well, apparently, the only way for them to do so is by towing the car into the dealership. But first, I would have to wait for the gas to run out. I drove back home for about an hour, and then came back - 2 hours of driving, and the car was still running. Waiting for the gas to run out would take many more hours.<br><small>

Registered Member
    Member No: 84845 BXa is an unknown quantity at this point BXa's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: The car locked me out with the engine running !!!

Well, the logic here was designed to allow the driver to open his door at (say for example) a gas station with other occupants in the car. Since his key was still in the ignition, he would open the driver door and push down on door lock; then shut the door.

This would allow the driver to walk into the gas station while locking the car for the other occupants. Otherwise there would be no way for the driver to lock the vehicle without asking the passenger to interact. So this is a "feature" for some; and a "bug" for you.

Of course, the passenger must unlock the car for the driver when he returns to the car in this case.

This problem has been virtually eliminated with the comfort access system, since the engine can now stay running while the key is in your pocket. You can then just pull the locked door handle (or even use the fob) when you return to the car.

The driver Not being able to lock the car with the engine running (while the key is inserted) for his passengers could be viewed as a more serious safety issue then the issue you were faced with.

It's debatable. But I can guarantee you that a group of engineers discussed this very sequence here and decided the benefits were worth the risk. Although, I would have been totally pissed too.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Actually, you cannot push the button down while the key is in ignition and the driver door is open - the car will not let you lock yourself out.<br><small>

Registered Member

Yes | No

Here is how the car locked me out

While the driver's door is open and the key is in the ignition, you cannot lock the doors by door lock in the center of dash or by pushing the driver door button down - the car won't let you do that - it was designed not to lock you out.

So here is what happened to me:

As the car stood at the exit of the carwash with engine running, the carwash guy sat in it and with the driver door open drove it out into the detailing spot, or to be exact, SPED IT OUT into the detailing spot. I have auto-door lock at speeds above 18 mph, and that did it. Engine running, the driver door is open, car went above 18 mph and the doors locked. I tested this - it works.

As he stepped out of the car, he left the door open, which was OK, but I wasn't ready to get into the car yet, so I closed the door to avoid an accident.

I think this is a bug in the system - there is no reason the driver's door has to lock when it's still open.
    <br><small>

Registered Member
    Member No: 64554 Fourth7 is an unknown quantity at this point Fourth7's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: The car locked me out with the engine running !!!

"DOORS LOCKED WITH CAR RUNNING AND NO ONE INSIDE... (523 views) (2556 thread views)

Message: today at car wash. How is this even possible? The car sat, running! and locked! for 90 minutes while I drove 46 miles roundtrip in the car wash's Suburban to retrieve the other remote. Has anyone else had this experience at car wash or valet park? Absolute madness! Dangerous!"

I posted this three years ago! It subsequently happened on my '06 X5 and my '06 750Li at the same car wash. Now I carry a spare X5 key in my wallet and I remove the hard key from the remote on my 7 whenever it goes through the wash. I was told the first time by BMW NA that this was impossible. I've always thought it had something to do with the automatic door locks. It might be as simple as the wheels spinning on the wet floor as they start to move it out...

Thanks for the post.

FOURTH 7 2006 750 Li Monaco Blue, Cream Beige/Black Leather, Light High Gloss Wood Trim, Premium Sound, Convenience, Luxury Seating, 19" Star-Spoke Wheels, Park Distance Control, Electric rear and side window sunshades, Heated Steering Wheel, HD Radio. Ordered and built January '06, Delivered March '06.

MAYA'S X5 2006 X5 4.4i Black Sapphire, Truffle Brown, Light Poplar Wood Trim, Rear Climate, Cold Weather, 16-way Comfort Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Retractable cargo floor, Park Distance Control, Heated Rear Seats, BMW On-Board Navigation System, Premium Sound System, X5 BMW/Alpine Six-Disc CD. Ordered, Built, and Delivered July '06

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information