+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 103264 tdhardin is an unknown quantity at this point tdhardin's Avatar

Yes | No

timing guides tip, no head removal

hey folks,
    as you may know the lower guide doesnt come out, or go in because of clearance with the head casing. solution...
    to get it out just cut it in half with a cutting wheel, and to put new one on, tuck the upper tip under the headcase, and mate up to the pin, at about 11 oclock. it will be slitly crocked but you will be able to start the pin in the hole easily. dont forget new orings, and to lube the hole. work it on by hand and two medium taps with a hammer and it will pop on. done.
    cheers,
    damion

Registered Member
    Member No: 123746 Randomg is an unknown quantity at this point Randomg's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: timing guides tip, no head removal

You mean like this:

Registered Member
    Member No: 103264 tdhardin is an unknown quantity at this point tdhardin's Avatar

Yes | No

yes, but slightly evolved...

you gave me the idea to cut it off, but I cut towards the middle of the shaft to aviod any head gasket issue, and instead of pulling the pin, I left it in and just tapped on the nea tensioner. my logic was this would have no possible damage to the block, only the pin and tensioner were being in play. it worked great.
    thanks for your write up as it helped give me confidence.
    by the way, I removed the rad, and condensor, inorder to use an impact gun on the crankhub nut...came rightoff. also thanks for the heads up on the orings inside the guide, they were not disturbed useing my method.

Registered Member
    Member No: 35097 bbojangles is an unknown quantity at this point bbojangles's Avatar

Yes | No

if it came right off... it was not tight enough.

how did you get the nut back on>? did you use a torque wrench? with a multiplier?

Registered Member

Yes | No

I was using a 3/4 inpact gun, havent reassbl. yet

Registered Member

Yes | No

update

10k on motor since, no issues

Registered Member
    Member No: 35097 bbojangles is an unknown quantity at this point bbojangles's Avatar

Yes | No

I cut mine a little also to get it on..

be carful the 2 tensionner rails need to over lap each other, dont cut too much

Registered Member

Yes | No

i condered that route also

I was decided I would try tapping it on instead, I didnt feel comfortable with the overlap issue, how many miles ago did you do that? the tapping really did not feel abusive the the parts at all, just that sense of making it happen that is required so often working on cars....

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information