+ Reply to Thread
    David Storm

Yes | No

2005 SLK 350 sound system

Just got an SLK 350 and love it except for the rattles, cup holder location, and sound system. I have the standard sound system and was thinking of converting to different speakers and or system. Has anyone done that or just changed speakers? Thanks in advance.

Registered Member
    Member No: 168275 victorpgaines is an unknown quantity at this point victorpgaines's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2005 SLK 350 sound system

I recently purchased a 2006 SLK 350, and have the exact same feedback. Love it, except for the rattles, cupholder location and stereo.

On the stereo, I called Crutchfield because I couldn't find aftermarket replacement speakers on any major site (no speakers found using the Web interface that would fit). The Advisor said the entire standard factory system is custom, so replacing the speakers or the head unit is extremely difficult. It involves creating brackets, spacers, cutting, retrofitting...sounds messy and expensive.

User Level 1
    Member No: 192948 grovefromnh is an unknown quantity at this point grovefromnh's Avatar

Yes | No
    I replaced the radio with a Kenwood '699' Excelon. We put in a J&L 600wt amp. I now have XM, hands-free bluetooth, backup camera, Ipod hookup. Pandora radio, GPS, nav and other stuff I don't know what it is. We kept the Harman-Karden speakers. Cost of everything including labor was $2800. I asked a Merc dealer parts guy about a replacement radio. He looked it up and started laughing. He said: 'there are 6 in Germany and one will cost $6500 before shipping. What a koke. A shop in Nashua NH called Boomer McLoud did the install. He was able to get ALL the pieces within 2 days. My new system sounds GREAT although the large screen is a little hard to read in the sun, but there is an adjustment for that. Good Luck!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 24.60.76.178

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information