+ Reply to Thread
    Todd Frye

Yes | No

clutch pedal on floor

The Silver Bullet, with 213K on the speedo, just had clutch failure. No warning signs or noises...just pedal completely to the floor. Leaking fluid pools under the car when the brake pedal is pumped (to check for fluid level in reservoir). I haven't crawled under the car yet, but if this has happened to you, I'd like to hear what it took for the fix (parts wise) so when I do get horizontal, I'll likely have the right part on hand. Thanks for your help. Todd Frye 1988, E-28.

CurtD

Yes | No

Re: clutch pedal on floor

Check your clutch slave cylinder located on the trans bellhousing driver's side. That's what mine was, same problem as you have. Of course the brake fluid resevoir must be full, you may just have air in the slave. Clutch and brakes run of the same resevoir.

'87 528e 5spd Diamond Black 250K miles

Registered Member
    Member No: 32960 jimoreno is an unknown quantity at this point jimoreno's Avatar

Yes | No

if you have never changed any parts of the clutch system, I would suggest that you get the slave, the hose in between them, the master cylinder and take a very good look at your pedal bracket since they tend to crack and destroy the master cylinder (same symptoms though, pedal on the floor). There is also a small plastic connector that goes on the master cylinder that most of the times break when you remove it, its cheap ($1) so get it too. The pedal bracket was like $40, the master like $55, the plastic connector $1, sorry but the other parts were replaced by the previous owner less than a year before I bought my car!
    Good Luck!

Registered Member
    Member No: 136776 Mark_88_M5 is on a distinguished road Mark_88_M5's Avatar

Yes | No

What Jim said.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Is the spilled fluid brake fluid? Clutch MCs go

bad and when they leak it messes up the floor mat. BTDT.

Registered Member
    Member No: 129993 Earlyshark is an unknown quantity at this point Earlyshark's Avatar

Yes | No

my '87 535 did the same thing, on hot days after being parked for about 10 minutes or so. The pedal would stick to the floor, I'd reach down, pull it up, shift to the next gear and it would stick again. After driving a short distance it would work normally. I changed the clutch slave cyl. (the one from BAVAUTO is iron, the one from AUTOHAUSAZ is aluminum), and gravity bled the slave cyl. Works fine now, BTW, the one removed was aluminum the one installed was iron. Since my problem only occured after being parked for a short period, there is probably a heat soak issue. Could it also be the pressure plate is going away?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information