+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 156144 flpnout is an unknown quantity at this point flpnout's Avatar

Yes | No

Anyone had any problems getting the car to start?

This morning I had to try pushing the start button like 4 times and had to insert and remove the key several times before the car finally started. Then later in the day it seems like when you push the start button it seems like it is having a hard time starting before the engine actually starts up. Anyone else encounter this problem? I think I will make an appointment to have it checked out soon. It seems to hesitate to start throughout the day today.2008 BMW 135I Alpine White Coupe: Black Leatherette, dark birch wood trim, Sport Package, Automatic w/ paddle shifters, Navigation, Heated Seats, and USB iPod adapter. <p>
    2008 BMW 650I Alpine White Cabrio: Saddle Brown Pearl Leather, Maple Wood Trim, Sport, Cold, Premium Sound Package, HUD, Night Vision, Active Cruise Control, Active Stearing, Lane Departure Warning, and High Beam Assist.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Anyone had any problems getting the car to sta

Apparently I must be the only one having start issues or pro-longed whining starts. I have an appointment to have this checked out next Saturday and hope it is just a software update/programming issue.

<p>
    2008 BMW 135I Alpine White Coupe: Black Leatherette, dark birch wood trim, Sport Package, Automatic w/ paddle shifters, Navigation, Heated Seats, and USB iPod adapter.
    2008 BMW 650I Alpine White Cabrio: Saddle Brown Pearl Leather, Maple Wood Trim, Sport, Cold, Premium Sound Package, HUD, Night Vision, Active Cruise Control, Active Stearing, Lane Departure Warning, and High Beam Assist.

Tom K.

Yes | No

Are you holding the button?

My understanding is that the cleanest starts involve briefly pressing and then releasing the button. The computer seems to then apply the starter motor for just the right amount of time. Also, according to the manual quick, successive re-starts aren't a good idea.
    Tom

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Are you holding the button?

No, I usually just push it and let go and it would whine for awhile before it actually starts. There are a couple of times that it won't start and I would have to hold the button down longer. It never did it before the first 2000 miles. When it first occurred it did not start at all. I thought the battery might have died. I had to remove the key like 3 times and kept trying. Since then, it just whines much longer before the engine actually starts. It is very sporadic. Let's see what they find at the dealership next Saturday.<p>
    2008 BMW 135I Alpine White Coupe: Black Leatherette, dark birch wood trim, Sport Package, Automatic w/ paddle shifters, Navigation, Heated Seats, and USB iPod adapter.

Tom K.

Yes | No

Let us know how it's resolved.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Currently at the dealership being diagnosed

I just dropped off my car at the dealership to have the start issue checked out. Funny, the first thing my service advisor asked me is what type of gas I am putting in the car and wanted to make sure I was using 91 octane. I told him I use premium (91) Chevron, Shell, or Vallero. He finds it strange that my car is the first one that is ever having any issues. So let's see what they have to say on the diagnoses when I get the car back either later today or Monday.

I also told them the factory alarm that was installed does not have an audible confirmation when arming and disarming. His response was that a software may not yet be available to enable that feature.

Will update when I get the car back from Concord BMW.<p>

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Dealer needs to keep the car for a few days

Dealership just called to let me know that they need to send the data to PUMA to find out how to go about my problem. They were able to replicate it. My service advisor believes it is a high pressure issue in the fuel pump. They are not sure if that will need replacing or some sort of programming depending on what PUMA has to say.

Same goes for my alarm system as well. They need to consult with PUMA.

I just hope I don't have a lemon. <p>

Tom K.

Yes | No

Since the twin turbo has been in production for awhile, I suspect they'll sort it out quickly. By the way, may I ask what "PUMA" is?
    Tom

Registered Member

Yes | No

PUMA is BMW North America's Corporate tech support in New Jersey when the dealership cannot fix the problem they consult with them (PUMA) on for to go about fixing the problem or if there is a latest software update.<p>

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: PUMA found the problem & Fix

Apparently this could happen to any 135, 335, and 535:
    High Pressure Pump needs to be replaced as there is an updated one.
    Dealer has it in stock and replaced it. They are keeping it until tomorrow just to make sure for quality assurance. Dealer assured me this will definitely resolve the starting issues for sure.
    <p>

Registered Member

Yes | No

Here is a link to others having same issue

I guess I wasn't or am not the only one have "High Pressure Pump" Hard start issues. Thought I'd share:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9830

<p>

Registered Member
    Member No: 98482 bmwtech2003 is an unknown quantity at this point bmwtech2003's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Anyone had any problems getting the car to start?

Try pressing the brake pedal harder. Had one that took more effort on the brake pedal to start the car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29135 MCJ is an unknown quantity at this point MCJ's Avatar

Yes | No

Faulty fuel pump.

It's been well known that the n54 engine has been having issues lately with bad fuel pumps causing long cranks, limp modes and right out failure. BMW is working to replace manufacturers so in a month or so you should be able to get a new one under warranty.

FloydR

Yes | No

Not saying it isn't, but...

That problem was very evident 2 years ago with the original N54 engines, and there should not be a problem with 2008 (even 2007.5) cars. BMW replaced many pumps, and established better test and manufacturing requirements to solve the problems over a year ago.

Fortunately, my son's 2007 335i coupe hasn't had that problem. Interestingly, his car is one of the first to turn on the "brake fluid service" alert, as it only had 1500 miles on it until he bought it 6 months ago. Evidently it's a 24 month/??? Mile interval, and it's now two years old.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29135 MCJ is an unknown quantity at this point MCJ's Avatar

Yes | No

Oh, but it is still a problem....

I have the symptoms myself on a 3/08 135i and are due to get the pump replaced shortly. It's still a current running story on E90 and E87 forums unfortunately.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Not saying it isn't, but...

Well, since mine was replaced. It starts up much stronger now and never had any problems. <p>

BG

Yes | No

Any other problems showing up for 1 series?

First year in USA. How is the reliability of the 1 series so far?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information