+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 164673 rlivingston is an unknown quantity at this point rlivingston's Avatar

Yes | No

E46 Climate Control Blowing Fuse

Today my climate control blew fuse 28. Replaced the fuse, and it blew instantly. The entire climate control panel is completely dead - no LED display, no lights, no fan, nothing works, not even the rear window defogger. I don't have a wiring diagram, but I'm guessing, due to the blank control panel, this indicates the control panel/computer is toast? Any ideas?
    This has been a great car, except for the disturbing number of electrical gremlins - lots of flaky sensors and idiot lights over the years. Even the AM radio is now on the fritz....

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

? E46 Climate Control Blowing Fuse?

list your past electrical repairs,
    and and cars history,
    miles, owners,
    add-ons ?,

Fuses don't blow unless someone fuchs with the car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 164673 rlivingston is an unknown quantity at this point rlivingston's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: ? E46 Climate Control Blowing Fuse?

Well, in this case nobody has messed with anything, something has died on its own. No significant electrical repairs ever, unless you include cam position sensor replacements years ago, and a new battery about 6 months ago. The car is a pretty much stripper 325i, 120K mostly trouble-free miles, and driving to work yesterday AM, the climate control just went dead.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Without diagnosis it's impossible for us to

take an educated shot from afar, but it wouldn't surprise me if you end up replacing your climate control panel. Totally reasonable to believe that it failed in such a way that it's now eating fuses.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Without diagnosis it's impossible for us to

Can you confirm that fuse 28 feeds the control panel? I have no wiring diagram.

Registered Member

Yes | No

If you'd revealed your email address in your

posts, I would have emailed a pdf of the fuse chart to you.
    You should have a copy of the fuse chart up in the glove box fuse tray, unless some previous cad failed to replace it when using it sometime!

The only listing on the fuse chart for fuse #5 is 'heater', whatever that means. It's listed as a five amp fuse.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: If you'd revealed your email address in your

I have the fuse chart, and there are 3 fuses listed as serving the climate control. What I need to know is specifically which part(s) of the system fuse 28 serves.

Registered Member

Yes | No

For what it's worth, I went into my Bentley

and found on page 610-6 that the fuse #28 lists the following:

Air conditioner (see also fuses 62, 63)
    Blower (see also fuse 50)
    Heater (see also fuse 23, 62)
    Heated rear window, Convertible

Bentley doesn't do an exemplary job of laying out the electrical system with clarity, and the schematics they voluminously publish are cryptic at best. Is that the info you were seeking? And does it help you?

Dave Martin

Yes | No

I have 2002 E46 and the same thing happened two days ago. I was driving on the freeway and my A/C shut down. All LED's and buttons are blank and do not function. I can replace the fuse #28 and it will work for a few seconds and up to 10 minutes until it blows again. The only service performed was an evaporator replaced back in November 07.

I dropped the car off yesterday at the local BMW dealer and they disconnected the final stage resistor, compressor, and some other regulator (I can't recall the name) and with all items unplugged and turning the ignition on(not starting the car) it would blow a fuse. Also, they connected a diagnostic computer to the car and "no faults" are reported. As it currently stands no solution is available and they're not sure what to test next. Any ideas drop me a line.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Ray Livingston

Yes | No

Dave,
    Your dealer sounds not too bright, as Fuse 28 has nothing to do with the Final Stage Resistor. Fuse 28 feeds exactly three things:

1) A/C compressor clutch relay
    2) Climate control panel in center console
    3) E-Box fan

My problem turned out to be the E-box fan, and I suspect yours might as well. Here's how to tell:

1) Open the hood, and find the E-box, which is a large black plastic box, just forward of the windshield on the drivers side. The cover is held on with 4 or 5 Allen or Torx screws. Remove the screws, and remove the cover. On the back wall of the box, you'll find a single 3-pin connector. This is the connector for the E-box fan. Disconnect it, replace fuse 28, then go for a drive. If the fuse doesn't blow, then the fan itself is your problem. It's a $140 part from the dealer. To remove the fan, un-clip the connector from the back of the E-box by pressing the two fingers on the sides, and pushing the connector down. Inside the car, remove the underdash trim on the drivers side, and look up in the top outside corner of the drivers footwell. You'll see the fan there. It's held in place with three Philips screws. Remove the screws, and the fan pulls right out.
    2) If the fuse still blows with the fan disconnected, then you need to disconnect the climate control panel from the center console. This panel is simply "snapped" into the console, and can be easily pryed out without disassembling anything else. Just slip something thin and flat, like a pocket knife blade, along one side, the pry the panel out slightly. Then repeat on the other side, and keep going back and forth until its out far enough you can pull it the rest of the way. Disconnect all the wiring from the control panel. Again replace Fuse 28, and go for a drive. If the fuse blows, then the problem is either somewhere in the wiring harnesses (bad!) or the compressor relay (not likely!). If the fuse does not blow, then you need to replace the climate control panel. I have a spare I'd let you have cheap if this is the problem.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Unregistered chris

Yes | No

my e46 with that same problem

thank you for the help i am now going to be able to fix my 330i with a great under standing of what i need to look for and how to fix the problem.

thank you for the walk through
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 50.76.56.211

User Level 1
    Member No: 202417 Mikebtvs is an unknown quantity at this point Mikebtvs's Avatar

Yes | No
    I'm now having the same problem on my 2000 328I, I just bought the car, before doing so I took it on several test drives and checked everything. On a hot day the AC worked great, cold day the heater did great. But right after I bought it the climate control panell went dead (IHKA?) now as soon as ignition is turned on, it will blow fuse 28. I've done quite a bit of research and tried just about everything. Here's what I've done;unhooked and replaced e-box fan/blower,Replaced final stage resistor (aka hedgehog)Unhooked climate control panel, still blows. And I can't figure out how this is related, see what I found in this video, I posted it on youtube; https://youtu.be/G_5AmJzeo5A
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 172.56.38.205

Unregistered

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Livingston View Post
    Dave,
    Your dealer sounds not too bright, as Fuse 28 has nothing to do with the Final Stage Resistor. Fuse 28 feeds exactly three things:

1) A/C compressor clutch relay
    2) Climate control panel in center console
    3) E-Box fan

My problem turned out to be the E-box fan, and I suspect yours might as well. Here's how to tell:

1) Open the hood, and find the E-box, which is a large black plastic box, just forward of the windshield on the drivers side. The cover is held on with 4 or 5 Allen or Torx screws. Remove the screws, and remove the cover. On the back wall of the box, you'll find a single 3-pin connector. This is the connector for the E-box fan. Disconnect it, replace fuse 28, then go for a drive. If the fuse doesn't blow, then the fan itself is your problem. It's a $140 part from the dealer. To remove the fan, un-clip the connector from the back of the E-box by pressing the two fingers on the sides, and pushing the connector down. Inside the car, remove the underdash trim on the drivers side, and look up in the top outside corner of the drivers footwell. You'll see the fan there. It's held in place with three Philips screws. Remove the screws, and the fan pulls right out.
    2) If the fuse still blows with the fan disconnected, then you need to disconnect the climate control panel from the center console. This panel is simply "snapped" into the console, and can be easily pryed out without disassembling anything else. Just slip something thin and flat, like a pocket knife blade, along one side, the pry the panel out slightly. Then repeat on the other side, and keep going back and forth until its out far enough you can pull it the rest of the way. Disconnect all the wiring from the control panel. Again replace Fuse 28, and go for a drive. If the fuse blows, then the problem is either somewhere in the wiring harnesses (bad!) or the compressor relay (not likely!). If the fuse does not blow, then you need to replace the climate control panel. I have a spare I'd let you have cheap if this is the problem.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Ray,
    Your post and the break down of the 3 parts that need to be investigated is 100% spot on. I have a 2001 330ci with the hot weather package. The climate control head unit went black (no power) and fuse #28 kept blowing. I replaced the head unit, the same problem continued. I ordered a new e box fan unit ($100 on ebay), watched a you tube tutorial, 45 minutes later, voila! Ice cold Air con!
    Thank You!
    Derek
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 108.162.238.38

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information