+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 113961 jtulman is an unknown quantity at this point jtulman's Avatar

Yes | No

2006 650 CI Brake Calipers Rusting - Is this poss?

I am hoping one of you proud 6er owners can help me out with this one, cobradav, the omnicient one, as well. I have a 2006 650CI with approximately 19K miles on her. I had the winter tires swapped out for the summer tires approximately 2 weeks ago. I had noticed that both front brake calipers (OEM, never touched or replaced) have a rust color to them. When I brought the car in for service and to swap the wheels, the Service Technician informed me that this was "normal" and "not to worry." The car is only 2 years old, how is this possible? I have proudly owned a 3series for 5 years and a 5 series after that for 5 years before this 6 and never had their front brake calipers have a rust color appearance. I noticed the change in color approximatley 1 month ago. Please let me know if anyone of you have this or had this and what did you do to remove the rust color. I will post a couple of pictures to show you all on Monday. I eagerly look forward to your feedback.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2006 650 CI Brake Calipers Rusting - Is this poss?

Never noticed on mine (65k miles). Wash about every week but a few times have gone as much as three weeks. Still no hints at rust. Actually in now to have brakes checked as my CBS (iDrive) has said I'm due fronts in 21k miles, but has said that for the last 10k miles including 11 runs on the Tail of the Dragon where normally they would change by 3k with that amount of use.

Back to your issue - not ever heard anyone complain of your issue, bit of course that is not very meaningful unless folks actually look.
    Is just the color of rust or do you see any flaking or corroding that would indicate real rust?

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.bimmerdrivers.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 113961 jtulman is an unknown quantity at this point jtulman's Avatar

Yes | No

Cobradev the calipers are the color of rust. There appears to be no flaking but they clearly have changed color from the OEM grayish color to a rust color. Any suggestions as to what I may do next? I have a call into BMW NA Customer Service. Thanks for your quick response. I am having difficulties uploading the picture - any advice. Please feel free to contact me off-line as well.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Pics are a little difficult here. Been so long I"ll have to reaquaint myself before I try giving advice.

On the rust topic.

Just saw a post on a e60 board with a similar topic. This individual attributed his problem to a cleaning product his hand wash folks were using that eat what ever protection BMW had provided. He did a DIY repair including purchase of several parts from BMW and extensive prep and painting. I can provide a link if you wish later as I am knee deep in getting a launch ready here at the Cape
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.bimmerdrivers.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information