+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 146961 z32000 is an unknown quantity at this point z32000's Avatar

Yes | No

AC lost cooling...expansion valve DIY?

Ever since I got my car, i never felt the AC was cool enough. I didn't trust any local mechanics in the Tampa area that delt with the AC.

I had a guy who I found online who apparents works at BMW to check out the AC. He said it was adequately cooling. Still not good enough for me. He actually used the BMW garage afterhours to remove and refrigerant to my car. At one time, I filled it up with more refridgerant (probably wasn't suppose to) but still didn't affect the cooling.

Anyway, today I noticed that the car wasn't blowing out cold air. I decided to fill it up with a DIY freon can from Walmart. So far, at least without driving the car....but letting stand for 10 minutes, it feels like it's not as cool as before.

My guess is that there could be a leak in the expansion valve. The problem is.... how do I get to it?
    I know you can pay probably about $100 for a leak test....but how can one do a leak test if they can't get to the expansion valve? It sounds like they would charge even more money to take all the panels apart.

Does anyone know of a step by step method to getting to the expansion valve? It's only $60. I figured, if I can get to it...might as well change it out since it might leak in the future.

Any ideas? I really want to fix it on my own or at least troubleshoot it if possible.
    Thanks in advance.

by the way, I think it's not a compressor issue....it doesn't get warm at the stop light or anything like that.....it's pretty consistant. On hot and humid days, it feels like I'm getting somewhat of a mixture of outside air as well.

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

This could help

I found this which might help.
    I also had a nice DIY on how to work on the expansion valve which is located on the right side of the heater/AC core. You'll have to remove the glovebox, disconnect 2 A/C hoses and remove a cover from the heater hose. I'll try to look it up tonight when I get home.
    ---------------------------------

ZetaTre (formerly LPCapital)
    1998 Z3 1.9 (my baby)
    2003 Z4 2.5i (my babe's baby)

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

Great article.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I appreciate it

Thanks!
    This board is awesome! I think it's essential to know how to fix the AC. It seems like one of those things that will eventually brake down since there are moving parts in the AC system.

Registered Member
    Member No: 161143 Mikes98Z3 is an unknown quantity at this point Mikes98Z3's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: This could help

I know of a real good BMW independent shop in Brooksville, FL about 45 minutes up the Suncoast Pkwy from Tampa International. Let me know if you want specifics.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 128020 Carlin96M44 is on a distinguished road Carlin96M44's Avatar

Yes | No

Great info for those DIY...thanks

.http://forums1.roadfly.com/preferences/showsigimage.php?img=128020[/IMG]

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

Have you checked the drain? If it plugs, it ...m

can affect the temp.

Scott Pettit

Registered Member

Yes | No

drain valve?

never heard of the drain valve??? in the AC?
    how do I get to it?
    Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: drain valve?

The only drain I can think of the one is the one that drains condensation or water that drains from the heater assembly to the outside: is that it Scott?
    Sorry, but it has been a busy week at work and couldn't really look more into that DIY I was tellng you about.
    I have pix I took when I took apart my interior in search of a water leak: I'll upload them and post over the weekend. You can see where some things are.

1998 Z3 1.9 (my baby)

Scott Pettit

Yes | No

That's the one.

Registered Member

Yes | No

where is this located?

where is this drain located?
    I'm not sure where at what the heater assembly is....

Registered Member

Yes | No

Took a while but here it is

I knew I sow this recently. Hope it helps.
    I have the whole TIS at home if you need any more infos.

1998 Z3 1.9 (my baby)

Barry

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

DIY for A/C Systems Very Bad Idea

Air conditioning systems are definitely not a DIY repair. Also, some of the advice given in this thread is not good advice and will not tell you if an A/C system is properly charged with refrigerant.

Contrary to popular belief, pressures alone cannot tell you if a system is properly charged. Pressures AND associated temperatures are typically necessary to determine subcooling and superheat. However, with an automotive system, because of the many variables (variable compressor speed, variable evaporator fan speed, changing condenser efficiency, etc.) the ONLY accurate method of properly charging a system is to start with a fully evacuated (vacuumed) system and weigh in the exact charge. Since the total charge in these small systems is less than 3 Lbs, a very small amount of refrigerant from a 1 Lb Wallmart DIY can make a huge and detrimental difference. You certainly can make the system blow cold air with an improper charge but the system will be working at much less than design capacity and, if over charged, you have a very high probability of trashing your expensive compressor or having a hose blow in your face.

Unless you know the proper technique of connecting a gauge set (or DIY charging hose) you will allow air and moisture into the system. Even tiny amounts of moisture will form acids, eventually causing pinhole leaks in the evaporator. Air is non-condensible so it will cause very high and damaging head pressures. It also competes with the refrigerant for evaporator and condenser tube surface area knocking cooling ability into the toilet. Again, only tiny amounts are necessary to create big issues.

I know of an individual who is now blind because a Wallmart type of DIY can blew up in his face when he inadvertently connected the hose to the liquid line. My brother-in-law represented him when he sued the business that sold him the can. There are other dangers (e.g. hand burns when removing/connecting hoses, etc.).

Please leave A/C repairs to someone who is an experienced A/C technician. At best you will have a system that is not working to design performance and at worst you can seriously hurt yourself due to the high pressures.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I agree. A/C inspection and recharge is not...m

expensive and it is something that is well worth the investment.

Scott Pettit

Inner Circle Member Inner Circle Member
    Member No: 69391
    Inner Circle ©137 since: Mar 28, 2005 bimmer2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

you can't even connect the walmart one

to the high side....especially witht he built in gauge they have. it will only fit on the low side.....so i don't know how ge did that.

also diy on AC is no different than anything else on the car...it requires knowledge and common sense at the same time.

i just had some problems on my 2002 x5 and i was able to use one of the high side/low side gauge sets to refill and it worked great. with the new systems at autozone, etc....it is physically impossible to connect to the high side anymore.

took my truck into firestone repair center and for 40 bucks they determined my fan clutch was bad....sure enough it was and now the a/c will freeze your hand off. the fan clutch wasn't kicking in so the condenser, even though the aux fan was working, didn't have enough air flow.....i would have never thought of a fan clutch causing a/c problems.

Registered Member
    Member No: 21597 z3bigdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point z3bigdaddy's Avatar

Yes | No

I have to refill mine yearly... Never have found

the leak... 8-( Just one of my yearly rituals at this point.... Since the only thing I have replaced, other than wear parts, is a starter over the years. I figger I'll live with it until the recharge gig fails me.....

just
    trying
    to
    hide
    spam!

Find out the real poop @ Z3BigDaddydotcom

rachat credit immobilier
    Member No: rachat credit immobilier's Avatar

Yes | No

simulation rachat de credit

tres interessant, merci

+ Reply to Thread