+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 165172 bobsterg is an unknown quantity at this point bobsterg's Avatar

Yes | No

Awful gas mileage and brake dust so far (135i)

So I'm at just around 500 miles, and just can't get over like 17 mpg. Yes, I'm mostly just doing my commute to work (3 miles or so) and trips out to the mall, and almost no highway driving... but 17? And that's if I try to get it a little higher. It's usually ~16.8. Is this why as of Friday the MPG was no longer listed on BMWUSA's site? Anyway, a friend of mine said it could have to do with the tires, which are the Bridgestone Potenzas... or I guess it could just be the nature of the beast.

Also, anyone know any tricks to keep the brake dust off? I know BMWs are known for pretty awful brake dust after only a few days (I drove a Z3 and Z4 for the last 6 years), but are there any tricks to at least delaying the amount of time between wheel cleanings?

Thanks,
    Bobby

Scott

Yes | No

Re: Awful gas mileage and brake dust so far (135i)

With the type of driving you're describing, sounds like not only no highway but a lot of stop and go. 17 mpg isn't good, but with that kind of driving you might not want to expect much better. You might eventually see 20 mpg once the engine's broken in. As far as the tires, as long as they're correctly inflated, they're not a concern as far as your mpg goes.

Re the brake dust, that's just BMW. If you want less dust, you're going to have to go to a different pad, which just seems a waste on a brand new car. But it's a personal decision. Fwiw, I hate cleaning wheels too.

But whatever you do, don't buy those little dust covers that Bav Auto or others sell. The brakes get hot enough as it is (at least under spirited driving), and all they're going to do is block wind that would otherwise help cool things down.

Scott

Tom K.

Yes | No

With a 3 mile commute, you aren't warming the engine up - and cold running results in lousy gas mileage. (The tires have nothing to do with it unless badly under inflated.) Try resetting your computer mpg readout and then driving 50 miles or so at a steady 60~65 mph in top gear. You should be seeing at least 25 mpg or so under those conditions.

Like Scott said, BMW's create a lot of brake dust. Waxing the wheels will make them easier to clean.
    Tom

Registered Member
    Member No: 165172 bobsterg is an unknown quantity at this point bobsterg's Avatar

Yes | No

Can you suggest a good wax?

Tom K.

Yes | No

That's almost like suggesting a good church!

My personal preference is something with a high carnauba content like Zymol Carbon wax, but whatever you use to wax the rest of the car should be fine.
    Tom

Registered Member
    Member No: 6970 19redwings is an unknown quantity at this point 19redwings's Avatar

Yes | No

I have heard that the temps that wheels see make ordinatry wax ineffective. There is a company http://www.wheelwax.com/ that makes wax supposedly just for high temp applications.

FWIW, I would invest in the concetrated P21S wheel cleaner form detailers paradise. Spray it on, hose it off. The stuff really works!

Some go to heaven for the climate, others go to hell for the company! See you there!

Registered Member
    Member No: 112792 e60lover is an unknown quantity at this point e60lover's Avatar

Yes | No

window sticker states 17/25. what did you except?

Registered Member
    Member No: 29135 MCJ is an unknown quantity at this point MCJ's Avatar

Yes | No

Mine started low but as the mileage was put on it

alhz3

Yes | No

your local BMW center parts dept sells wheel wax specifically for this issue.
    alhz3 (96z3 08 135i

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Why wait?? I'm betting if you bit the bullet and

put on a full set of Axxis Metal Masters pads now you'd wonder what took you so long. It's not that expensive and every day when you come out to clean wheels, you'll get a big smile on your face compared to all those second day after wash dirty wheels.
    These pads are used by all at Turner Motorsports and have almost exactly the same feel as oem. Wheels stay clean amazingly long.

matt

Yes | No

a lot of brake dust is due to the fact that the brake pads are so soft, but I do not recommend putting on anything other than original parts. Harder pads while creating less dust will also significantly create longer stopping distances.

Registered Member
    Member No: 47250 viable95 is an unknown quantity at this point viable95's Avatar

Yes | No

Try some dustless brake pads in tirerack.com

01' 330i, bk/bk, step, moon, cd, 18x8 ASA AR1, 225/40/18 all around, Axxis dustless brake pads, Eibach springs

Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

put some wheel wax on. makes cleaning easier

Registered Member
    Member No: 164297 Glenn02 is an unknown quantity at this point Glenn02's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: put some wheel wax on. makes cleaning easier

has anyone tried using the brake dust covers that fit on the back side of the wheels?

Tom K.

Yes | No

How do they affect brake cooling?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information