+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 21095 scottw57 is an unknown quantity at this point scottw57's Avatar

Yes | No

A/C Auto Feature Issue

I'm having a problem with my A/C auto feature on my just out of warranty 2004 745li. What happens is when I first start the car(when it's hot outside) the fan blows out on high speed on the front windshield and rear passenger seat vents only. It always happens when it is hot outside. It take like 5-10 minutes for it finally to blow out the front vents. This only happens when in "Auto" mode. I never had this problem before and have had the car for 3 years. The system works fine if it is in Manual mode. Also, if I'm idling the a/c button sometimes just turns off and it starts blowing vented hot air. Really weird. Anybody else have this issue? I also sometime have an issue where I can't turn off the A/C. Meaning I hit the off button on the console and the auto (a/c) pops right back on in seconds. Anybody else have these problems and any resolutions/thoughts? Thanks!Duluth, Georgia (Atlanta)
    2004 745li
    Sterling Gray Metallic
    Black/Natural Brown Leather
    Premium Sound with Sirius Satellite Radio
    PDC, Conv. pkg, Elec.sunshades, 19" custom Bereyn wheels

rafael501

Yes | No

I have experienced the same behavior

This only happens when driving with climate control in AUTO mode with A/C turned OFF. Every 10-15 minutes the fan blows at the front windshield at top speed for few minutes and then goes back to normal.

Here is what I think happens (just a theory though): Because your A/C is off, I'm thinking some moisture gets accumulated in the windshield area, the moisture sensors (if any exist) pick this up and trigger the fans to blow out the moisture off the windshield.

Its just there seems to be some logic to how it works - it races the fans and then goes back to normal, so there has to be a good explanation.

Very annoying when it happens though.

Registered Member
    Member No: 21095 scottw57 is an unknown quantity at this point scottw57's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I have experienced the same behavior

Thanks.Mine is a little different...I also have malfunctioning temps..the temp numbers in auto mode (i.e. 70 degrees) change without me touching them..goes from 70,69,back to 70. I think there is something wrong with thermostat or electrical issue with auto feature. I like to tell dealer what to do since I will have to pay for this..otherwise they will start replacing stuff and I will overcharged. I was hoping someone else had this exact issue.

Suwanee, Georgia (Atlanta)
    2004 745li
    Sterling Gray Metallic

JeffFL745

Yes | No

Re: I have experienced the same behavior

I didn't have the exact same issue on my '02, but similar.

Temp would change, would go from auto to manual and back at random.

They replaced the knob that controls the temp (not the plastic knob, the actual part the knob attaches to).

Try wiggling the knob while the A/C is on and working normally and see if anything changes. If things change, this is your problem.

JeffFL745

Yes | No

Yes, problem solved ^^^^^

Scott,

Just saw your other posts. Sorry I didn't post the resolution on the other threads, but replacing the controller has fixed it.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks!! I will check

Suwanee, Georgia (Atlanta)
    2004 745li
    Sterling Gray Metallic

scottw

Yes | No

Re: A/C Auto Feature Issue

I bringing car in again this week. They replaced the blower last time that did not resolve. I will ask for the controller to be replaced..I'm asumming I will have to come out of pocket for this expense since I have no warranty. Maybe I should have purhcased an 2002 or 2003 model..better warranty for you guys and go figure I paid more for my car....bonehead dummy me. The auto temps were going crazy again yesterday (temp control was magically moving from 68-70 degrees on display)..Also when I depressed the "Off" button it went off for a second and then pop back into auto mode..This could cost me a small fortune to resolve. Not happy. In case anyone gets this problem i will try to post the resolution. It just doesn't sound like anyone here really has had this problem...

JeffFL745

Yes | No

Re: A/C Auto Feature Issue

It is almost certainly the control based on your description. Have you tried to wiggle the knob just to confirm that it is loose?

FWIW, my dealer did not seem at all surprised by my problem and told me what was wrong, as if they had already seen it many times before...

GL

scottw

Yes | No

Thanks for your help>>more

Yes I did try to wiggle it as you describe last week...That didn't do anything different or cause anything change. I've already emailed my service guy here in Atlanta with your solution. Thanks again for your help!

It just seems like a computer malfunction, thermostat issue or something else since it is happening to both left and right passenger temps..and the other issues with not being able to turn off. As well as the other issues with it blowing air only out the front defrost and back seat vents (out of the blue)...and then sometimes the a/c light just goes off and heat comes out when it is 95 degrees outside. And of course this is all intermittent problems.

scottw

Yes | No

Can't duplicate this intermittent issue @ dealer

Can't duplicate this intermittent issue at the dealer. Problem goes on...The dealer said "they don't care what you all think the issue is"..Just can't go replacing parts.. Geez another wonderful experience at the dealer. What I have to do is video tape my issue or just one it happens drive the 45 minutes to the dealer to show them I'm not lieing about it.

scottw

Yes | No

No resolution. Have to live with it.

Registered Member

Yes | No

UPDATED Resolution

In case anyway else has this problem and is searching the archives:
    After many trips to the dealer I believe we finally resolved this issue. We replace part # 64-11-6-928-326 (fog sensor/condensation sensor). Working correctly now.Suwanee, Georgia (Atlanta)
    2004 745li
    Sterling Gray Metallic

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information