+ Reply to Thread
    zombywolf

Yes | No

How to put E46 on jack stands?

Frequent visitor to E39 board, need some help with E46. Gonna do brakes on daughter's car, 2000 328i, I have a E39 and there is a jack "pad" under the front attached to the frame--position floor jack there, raise car, place stands, go. Don't see a similar "pad" on the E46. Help? Also, for the E39, to raise the rear you position jack under diff, put a wood block (piece of 2x6) on jack to help spread the load, and raise away. Same for E46?
    Thanks for help.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Never, never under the diff on an e46

M3 is close enough to our e46's so you can use the first item on the Mad Russian's list of DIY's
    Use the subframe directly in front of the diff as shown in the Russian's pic.
    For the front, there is not great news. There is a pad-like detent on the shield plate which can be used with a broad thick piece of wood, but some crushing of the metal sometimes takes place. The car is designed to be lifted on a pro lift only ideally.

FloydR

Yes | No

Re: How to put E46 on jack stands?

For the front, the knuckle of the control arm where it attaches to the subframe (look right next to the rear of the wheel well) works well.

For the rear, pretty much any part of the trailing suspension arm works; closer to the center mount of the rear subframe the better.

Don't really see why you need jack stands for the rear - the pads will last around 100K. FWIW, people are split on using the diff to jack the rear. Given the problems with rear subframes separating from the body, you may not want to do that.

zombywolf

Yes | No

Thanks to both!

Registered Member
    Member No: 104148 gniz1 is an unknown quantity at this point gniz1's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I've used this with success.

Some very helpful photos.
    e46fanatics jack point info.='01 325i 5 speed
    Prem. pkg, HK stereo
    11/00 built date
    Black/tan
    46k miles

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

Extra info much appreciated! The frame rail tip is

the valuable addition here.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29033 nickmascio is an unknown quantity at this point nickmascio's Avatar

Yes | No

my final solution to the problem

It's certainly not cheap, but it does the job on my BMW and other sport cars I have....www.ezcarlift.com.

Now that I have it, raising any car up is a breeze. If you're always wrenching on cars (like I am) it's a must have tool.

It's also listed in www.garageenvy.com

Best single investment I've made for my garage. Cheers! DVThe girl in the middle is a Queen!!

Aaron

Yes | No

Re: How to put E46 on jack stands?

Am I crazy or just in the minority? I have a 2001 330xi. I use a single 3 ton jack and jack up one SIDE at a time instead of front and rear. If you're just doing brakes, you don't need to hoist the whole car up on four jack stands. I put the jack under the frame just in from the B bar. Lift the car up until both front and rear wheels are high enough to allow both jacks stands under. Put one jack stand each on the front and rear jacking points and release the jack. Actually, because I'm paranoid of the whole thing falling down, I pump the jack up again on the car frame after the stands are in place just until the jack would start to lift it higher. It sort of acts as a third jack stand. I actually called BMW about where the proper jacking point is and they say there "isn't" one. This approach seems to have worked well for me without damaging the car and without being unsafe. Hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information