+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 164487 buckeye_hunter is an unknown quantity at this point buckeye_hunter's Avatar

Yes | No

1988 535i not starting

Gents:

Here is what I know...what I don't know would take too long...

I have an e28 m5 which had an engine transplant prior to my owning it for the last 4-5 years. Always ran and started great. I am in OH which means it gets stroed for the winter. Last winter some toothy rodent decided to eat some of the wires in the engine bay. I repaired all that I could see, which included: one spark plug wire; a wire to the throttle position switch; the power wire to the main relay; and the wires from the oil level switch.

After the repair, the engine will turn over but will not start...lacking spark...and the ICV does not energize with the ignition on (I am assuming it should).

When I jump the main relay, the ICV energizes and the car starts with a quick turn of the ignition key.

Matt Hernandez shipped me a working identical ECU and a main relay (THANKS MATT - will get back to you after I figure this out!).

I swapped them with mine and there is no difference.

I checked the reference and speed sensors and they tested fine - if I remember right about 1036 kohm.

I have swapped different fuel relays back and forth to no avail.

That pretty much sums up what I know...

Help appreciated!

Bob Hart

TJ

Yes | No

Re: 1988 535i not starting

so there's no power on terminal 86 of the main relay? maybe it's the OBC anti-theft feature

Registered Member
    Member No: 32960 jimoreno is an unknown quantity at this point jimoreno's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 1988 535i not starting

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information