+ Reply to Thread
    Laldog

Yes | No

Weber DCOE 45 or 32/36 DGAV???

I have both carbs in my possession. The car currently runs a 32/36 Weber, but it came equipped w/ a Weber DCOE 45 carb. I think it was removed due to cold weather problems. I live in the Boston area and would like to drive this car year round. Does the cold weather present problems for the DCOE?

Does the 45 DCOE improve performance enough to warrant the work? The 45 is currently bolted to an intake manifold, so the only headache would be hooking up a manual choke. Is it worth it?

PhilV

Yes | No

Re: Weber DCOE 45 or 32/36 DGAV???

you have a single 45DCOE sidedraft with a manifold for a 2002? I've never seen anyone with this setup before. saw one for a Chevy Vega though many years ago.

I have both carbs in my possession. The car currently runs a 32/36 Weber, but it came equipped w/ a Weber DCOE 45 carb. I think it was removed due to cold weather problems. I live in the Boston area and would like to drive this car year round. Does the cold weather present problems for the DCOE?

Does the 45 DCOE improve performance enough to warrant the work? The 45 is currently bolted to an intake manifold, so the only headache would be hooking up a manual choke. Is it worth it?

Laldog

Yes | No

That's right. It is a single unit (w/ 2 barrells. I agree. I've seen a few pictures with 2 mounted side by side, but this is only 1. Would it be worth installing?

Thanks

you have a single 45DCOE sidedraft with a manifold for a 2002? I've never seen anyone with this setup before. saw one for a Chevy Vega though many years ago.

Todd

Yes | No

Rare manifold (some info. in arch.) Trent has one.

My understanding is these manifolds are pretty rare. One of the main downfalls that I recall is the carb has a hard time supplying each cyliner equally due to the shape. Just what I have heard so I am no expert. Maybe Trent T. can provide some insight. He has one but it is not on his car.

Todd
    '68 project

PhilV

Yes | No

my suggestion would be

either buy another 45 and the proper manifold
    or sell the 45 and buy yourself a 38DGAS to replace your 32/36. You could probably sell
    the 45 on ebay or on the board here and make enought to pay for maybe half of the 38DGAS.
    maybe someother people on the board can enlighten
    you on this single DCOE setup or call the guys
    at Ireland Eng. They might be able to help you out. If you want to sell the 45 let me know, maybe
    we can make a deal.

PhilV

Colin

Yes | No

I live in Boston, too and here's my experience....

I live in Dorchester, and I drove my 2002 last winter with a 32/36 Weber. It started and ran fine on the coldest days. As for the 45 Weber, if it's jetted right, it should work OK. I had an Alfa Romeo with dual Webers a few years ago, and it started right up in the coldest weather. The Weber sidedrafts have good enrichment circuits (chokes) and big accelerator pumps, so starting is not a problem. The concerns about the single sidedraft not supplying all cylinders equally sounds dubious to me, given the fact that all of the factory downdraft manifolds had shorter runners for the two middle cylinders than for the two outer cylinders. Why not bolt it on and try it out? If you can't get it to work well, just switch back to the 32/36 or, better yet, get a 38/38 downdraft.
    Colin

Tommy

Yes | No

I've this one DCOE 45 setup in my racer. Guys seem to be pretty suspicious about it. There may be slight difference when i look plugs but IMO it has worked fine and gives pretty good power. I don't know but I think it should work fine in cold conditions if the carb is properly jetted and in good condition.
    Look my web page to see is it the same manifold.

Tommy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information