+ Reply to Thread
    lindsay781

Yes | No

Ins won't give check for cost to fix-deductible?

Hello,

My car was hit in a parking lot, and the person left and didn't leave their information.

My insurance company, Progressive, came and looked at the car and gave me an estimate of $485. I have a $250 deductible, so I got a check right there for $235. The woman who did the estimate said that when I get it fixed, if the shop thinks it will cost more, then they will negoatiate directly with Progressive.

My question is: shouldn't I be allowed the total cost to fix the car, whether I end up fixing it or not? If a shop's estimate is higher and is founded, shouldn't I be able to get the money instead of the repairs?

Thanks-

X

Yes | No

Re: Ins won't give check for cost to fix-deductibl

"This is the trick ins likes to play. If you do not fix it, they win. Trust me, they always under-estimate what it costs to repair...
    Thanks."

It's not a trick at all, G. Please do not spread disinformation. The total cost of repair CANNOT be known until the repairs are underway. Perhaps the initial quoted amount encompasses all of the damage, maybe it doesn't. It costs them a lot more to write the inevitable second check (on the order of $60 to write a check, regardless of the amount of the check).
    If you have it repaired, the body shop should discover the hidden damage, at which time they'll call Progressive and get the additional check sent out to you or them, depending upon your arrangement with them.
    If you do not have it repaired, that potential hidden damage will never be found.

User Level 1
    Member No: 191758 sonudagr88 is an unknown quantity at this point sonudagr88's Avatar

Yes | No
    [h=2]Re: Ins won't give check for cost to fix-deductibl[/h]
    "This is the trick ins likes to play. If you do not fix it, they win. Trust me, they always under-estimate what it costs to repair...
    Thanks."

It's not a trick at all, G. Please do not spread disinformation. The total cost of repair CANNOT be known until the repairs are underway. Perhaps the initial quoted amount encompasses all of the damage, maybe it doesn't. It costs them a lot more to write the inevitable second check (on the order of $60 to write a check, regardless of the amount of the check).
    If you have it repaired, the body shop should discover the hidden damage, at which time they'll call Progressive and get the additional check sent out to you or them, depending upon your arrangement with them.
    If you do not have it repaired, that potential hidden damage will never be found.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 122.176.185.95

User Level 1
    Member No: 192056 lj01 is an unknown quantity at this point lj01's Avatar

Yes | No
    My suggestion is to try to fix the car, this is what insurance is intended for: repair it
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 15.195.201.90

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information