+ Reply to Thread
    Etachu

Yes | No

Replacing Brake and fuel Lines

My car a 1982 E28 528 needs new brake and fuel lines. I intend to do the job this weekend. I am wondering if it is possible to change these pipes without dismantling/dropping the rear axle. I will appreciate any information that will assist me in getting this job done easier. Thanks all.

Eric.

Steve: 85 735i, 88 735i, 88 735iL
    Member No: Steve: 85 735i, 88 735i, 88 735iL's Avatar

Yes | No

On my 86 535i...

I did not have to drop the subframe. I did have to bend the fuel lines alittle to get them in there, but not enough to kink them.

Etachu

Yes | No

Re: On my 86 535i...

Thanks Steve. I will try it tomorrow.

Etachu

Yes | No

I could not manage to pass the fuel lines through without dropping the subframe. When I dropped the subframe, it was quite easy to pass the pipes. However, I now have the problem of reinstating the subframe. I could not complete the work over the weekend. I will continue this weekend. I will appreciate any tip or trick on fixing back the subframe.

Steve: 85 735i, 88 735i, 88 735iL
    Member No: Steve: 85 735i, 88 735i, 88 735iL's Avatar

Yes | No

Is it not going back up?

If so, you just have to get it perfectly level and straight to slide up the pins. Keep adjusting each side and you will get it.

a

Yes | No

Re: Is it not going back up?

try a little grease on the pins and gently massaging the subframe with a 2x4 whilst jacking up on it

Etachu

Yes | No

Thanks guys. I eventually completed the installation of the fuel and brake lines. Getting the subframe back into the pins and bolt holes of the axle was a bit tricky. I had to jack the subframe in two places. One jack at under the axle and the second jack under the centre of the subframe crossbar. The two points were jacked alternatingly to ensure that the subframe was level. It was also possible to swing the subframe horizontally to align holes to the pins.

Eric.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information