+ Reply to Thread
    Stephen Swain

Yes | No

633 or 635 Chevy Engine Swap

Does anybody know if there is a reliable source of information regarding swapping a new Chevy Crate motor in a 633 or 635?

Bob K

Yes | No

Got to Absurdity/Why bother?.com

Monti

Yes | No

Re: Got to Absurdity/Why bother?.com

<i><br> <p></i><br>Somehow missing the point about what sixers really are....and if it were known, probably wouldn't get it anyway.<br>

Mark

Yes | No

This is why bother!

In addition to my 79 Euro, I have a 96 Impala SS with a 350 LT1 in it. Trust me, the bastard child of these two vehicle would be something to reckon with! Perhaps narrow-minded purists would find it offensive, but to me, it would follow the same fomula as the Shelby Cobra. I've seen Ford 5.0's stffed into Miatas, even Cadillac Northstars shoehorned into the rear of a Fiero, so why not this? Lots of low end Torque, low weight, great handling- nothing wrong with that! I'm sure it would whoop an M6 off the line. With all that said, I'm still NOT about to perform a motor swap on my two cars! Perhaps for those who have already headed down the non-stock path with their 6'er, it would make for an interesting ride in the true hod rod spirit. <p>Regards,<p>Mark<br>

Paul (CapeCod)

Yes | No

It can be done.......

I personally would not do it because I think BMW engineering is far superior to the chevrolet.....but I have had friends who have done the swap without any hitches. Advanced Adapters in Paso Robles, California provides manuals and guides for a number of engine and transmission conversions....I was thinking of putting a chevy 350 in my Cherokee when I had it. Their manuals are really good and they know what they are doing. They also provide the adapters and kits for swaps... But you got to remember...the BMW engine is built on the design of an aircraft engine....hence we have the Roundel which resembles the prop of an aircraft...so I ask you this....how many chevrolet 350's have you seen in an aircraft? It would be an anomale....and putting any other manufacturers engine in the BMW would also make it an anomale...but hey...do whatever makes you happy..... Just don't talk to purists about it...because....just because.

Paul (CapeCod)

Yes | No

It can be done.......

I personally would not do it because I think BMW engineering is far superior to the chevrolet.....but I have had friends who have done the swap without any hitches. Advanced Adapters in Paso Robles, California provides manuals and guides for a number of engine and transmission conversions....I was thinking of putting a chevy 350 in my Cherokee when I had it. Their manuals are really good and they know what they are doing. They also provide the adapters and kits for swaps... But you got to remember...the BMW engine is built on the design of an aircraft engine....hence we have the Roundel which resembles the prop of an aircraft...so I ask you this....how many chevrolet 350's have you seen in an aircraft? It would be an anomale....and putting any other manufacturers engine in the BMW would also make it an anomale...but hey...do whatever makes you happy..... Just don't talk to purists about it...because....just because.

///M Blitz

Yes | No

This is about the most ridiculous thing (more)

i have ever heard. Sure the chevy engine might have more torque, but what we all pay for in a BMW is the refinement - you are not going to get in a chevy my friend.<p>Surely, you can drink either Thunderbird or Cognac, but the experience is quite different now isn't it?<p>This is not a question of purist or not. If power were all that was important, then BMW would stuff an unsophisticated and short-lived power plan into their cars. Balance and sophistication be dammed, but that's not the point now is it?<p>BTW, the BMW powerplant will be alive and kicking long after the chevy engine is dead and buried.<p>Carlos Cardenas<br>83 528e (orginal owner 185K miles)<br>88 M6 (orginal owner 29K miles)<br>89 750iL (orginal owner 55K miles)<br>98 M3 (orginal owner)

Erich

Yes | No

Re: 633 or 635 Chevy Engine Swap

I'm just curious, are you going to put the 3.5 litre in the Impala? <br>

Blaine Morris

Yes | No

Watch out...

As has been said here before, you better watch out or you will be a candidate for these sites:<p>http://www.ricecop.com/accused.htm<p>http://www.ricestreet.com/riceexplained.html<p>Nothing personal, that's just the way it is. If you want to play with small-block chevys, buy a friggin' camaro...<p><i><br>Does anybody know if there is a reliable source of information regarding swapping a new Chevy Crate motor in a 633 or 635?<p></i><br>

Austin

Yes | No

If you want a Chevy, buy a Camaro.

<i><br>Does anybody know if there is a reliable source of information regarding swapping a new Chevy Crate motor in a 633 or 635?<p></i><br>

lars cousineau

Yes | No

Re: Rethink the engine choice

Have done the research and the Ford Small block is closer to the weight of the stock engine, plus has as many performance parts available (just as easy to rod up) The scoop you will need on the hood for the late model fuel injection will be a bit smaller with the ford, and no real suspension mods if you can re-locate the sump to clear the cross-member and steering mechanism. Harder to do with the chevy. The steering mechanism can be dealt with in another way. You can cut a link out under the engine and mount bearing carriers rearward off the cross-member (If you don't have to butcher the cross-member too deeply). The relocated link and gears fitted. Suzuki makes a chain strong enough to handle the load without jumping cogs on the gears too often. <p>I priced out this conversion, and wal pleased that it only came to between 5,000 and 6000 dollars. Then I woke up from my nightmare, ran out into the garage and found that my 1977 630 still had the stock engine under the hood. I went for a drive and just roamed around town until the shaking stopped.<p>Thanks for the laugh!!!

Mark

Yes | No

Re: 633 or 635 Chevy Engine Swap

<i><br>I'm just curious, are you going to put the 3.5 litre in the Impala? <p><br>A 3.5 in an almost 3800 lb car- now that would be pretty sad! I really don't have any plans for doing any engine swapping. If anything, I would like a 3.91 differential for my sixer. I like all kinds of cars and salute those with the creative spirit to try something original. <p>Mark<p><br>Mark<p></i><br>

Phares Gonzales

Yes | No

Re: This is why bother!

<i><br>I think you'd be happier with the results of modifying the current engine or dropping in an M6. Ive tangled with Impalas. No big deal.<br></i><br>

dan shannon

Yes | No

633 BMW Chevy

I have built several BMW Chevy cars. Two Bavaria Chevys and a 633 CSI Chevy. The big problem is the front suspension crossmember. You will have to use a 63' Chevy Nova "Front sump" oil pan and pickup. Or, you can (as I did) just do a massive engine set-back. You can also use a dry sump oil system. Use a complete Chevy engine and trans. I have done it with an automatic and a stick. Use the stock BMW limited slip diff. You will need to get the rear stub axles heat treated. Custom headers will be needed.
    I can be reached at [email protected]
    Good luck,
    Dan Shannon
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 99.127.143.0

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information